Typical diet for 3 month old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabz44, Feb 15, 2016.

1. gabz44

gabz44 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2015
    Hi :)
    I have 3 silkies, 1 Easter Egger, 1 buff Orphington ( all about 3 months old ). I feed them organic Pride Grower feed, grit, and water. What else should I be feeding them?? Please give me ideas what's safe to give chickens at that age. Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    What you are feeding is sufficient. Beside grit, it is also good to provide cracked oyster shells free choice. (for their whole life). You can give them some scratch. You also can give them bird seeds and cracked corn. Don't overdo with these in large amounts. Cracked corn is ideal during cold winter so they turn calories into body warmth. I did with mine when they were smaller even than yours. Try if you can to have them free range in your yard/meadow. Let them find insects and whatever else.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicks can eat just about anything an adult chicken can eat, right from the start as long as grit is available. When broody hens raise them, the chicks eat whatever she eats. You do need to make sure that the majority of their diet is feed.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    You can do a search for "treats" to find a lot of suggestions, but treats should be no more than 10% of their total food intake and they don't *need* them. They do make a nice bonding tool, however!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by