Ugh, getting started is hard work...

Tomhusker

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2010
Carson, Iowa
My chicks arrived two weeks ago. 46 (I think) fuzzy butts which were two or three days earlier than planned. We scrambled to get the brooder built, then the making of the water bottles and hangers and placement of heat lamps. Treated one case of pasty butt, other than that they are all healthy and thriving

Last week the coop arrived, a week later than planned. Hustled to create roosting space, hardware cloth the windows and then design and build a suitable, safe pop door. All while building rabbit hutches for our meat rabbits.

The chicks were moved to the coop Saturday night. It took a while but they have adjusted well to the big area.

This week it is the installation of the electric fence run and construction of a few "bomb shelters" for them to dive under in case of eagles or Hawks.

I don't remember this much work the first time I had chooks. Maybe it's because I eased into it with 5 chicks instead of jumping all in from the start.

Also, I probably had $350 wrapped up in coop, run and equipment, plus $5.00 for my first chicks the first time around. I bet I am near $4200 this time.....

Please don't tell my wife.......

Last edited:
I just went through the same thing, but with only 16 chicks - dang, 46 is A LOT!

It was kind of hilarious - I put them in the tub with their lamp, etc... and within a week 1/2 of them were much bigger than the other 1/2 - so I had to separate them out. 2 brooders now...

Then, I had a few weeks to build a coop/pen from scratch with framing, hardware cloth flying everywhere, building a door to the coop/pen, etc... and I'm a girl! I've not handled power tools much in my life... I love Home Depot and Ryobi though :)

And while I'm building a coop/pen from scratch with frequent spring rain delays... inside, I'm dealing with constantly cleaning out brooder bedding from all the poop while my chicks were flying everywhere during cleaning time....It was SO TIME to get them outdoors!

The very first night they were in their coop/pen, the roost bar was at an angle because I hadn't had time to get it set up straight... poor things... but they were so happy to be outside and so was I!

I still have to do finishing touches and build something to protect the food from getting wet when it rains (the mist gets into it).... argh!

It was a tough 2 months - but I did it! I'm sooo happy :)

Congrats on your hard work (and yes, it's pricier than I thought to start up everything and do it right)...

I just went through the same thing, but with only 16 chicks - dang, 46 is A LOT!

It was kind of hilarious - I put them in the tub with their lamp, etc... and within a week 1/2 of them were much bigger than the other 1/2 - so I had to separate them out. 2 brooders now...

Then, I had a few weeks to build a coop/pen from scratch with framing, hardware cloth flying everywhere, building a door to the coop/pen, etc... and I'm a girl! I've not handled power tools much in my life... I love Home Depot and Ryobi though :)

And while I'm building a coop/pen from scratch with frequent spring rain delays... inside, I'm dealing with constantly cleaning out brooder bedding from all the poop while my chicks were flying everywhere during cleaning time....It was SO TIME to get them outdoors!

The very first night they were in their coop/pen, the roost bar was at an angle because I hadn't had time to get it set up straight... poor things... but they were so happy to be outside and so was I!

I still have to do finishing touches and build something to protect the food from getting wet when it rains (the mist gets into it).... argh!

It was a tough 2 months - but I did it! I'm sooo happy :)

Congrats on your hard work (and yes, it's pricier than I thought to start up everything and do it right)...
You said it!

I am over a year into it, last year was expensive as the husband built the coop and such but I quickly for got the pain of brooding as I got to enjoy a year of easy self sufficient layers (with the exception of a disasterous first egg experience). Then this year we got 4 more, brooding was even easier as husband built a new brooder but the integration may be the death of me. The older Production Reds want to kill the new cockerel, had to separate them from the newbies and the tolerant B.O.'s but then roosting has become a nightmare with the Production Reds that are separated by welded wire fencing wanting to reach through and attack an unsuspecting newbie and the B.O.'s that normally tolerate them well not letting them find a spot to sleep unless it is on the ground under the poop board. Making sure everyone has the right kind of food, changes in housing has created egg lays in stupid hard to get to places....ugh!

So is not just me?

I bought four chicks at Orscheln two Barred Plymouth and two rainbow laying, had them for four days they were doing fine until last night one of the rainbow look sick stop eating, is there anything I can do to help chick get better?

I bought four chicks at Orscheln two Barred Plymouth and two rainbow laying, had them for four days they were doing fine until last night one of the rainbow look sick stop eating, is there anything I can do to help chick get better?
First make sure that its vent is clear, look for pasty butt (clogged poop on the butt) if it is not clean and able to poop it can be deadly. Clean it in warm water and then keep it warm till it dries. Besides that getting some nutridrench electroyte from the feed store and follow directions. Also make sure the temps are not too high in the brooder, give the chicks a place to move to cooler area. If these things are all ok then check back....it could be coccidosis which needs some Corrid to treat. there are directions on a thread here somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom