Ugh....I hate stupid people!!!

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
Sorry gotta vent. This guy pulls up today....after having seen my Farm Fresh Eggs sign out front......says he bought 6 chicks about a month ago at TSC and isn't sure they are working out. Says it was an experiment and they want to see if they'll lay eggs. He thinks they've outstayed their welcome and wants to know what his options are.
rant.gif
So i say, "Sir, you should've thought about that BEFORE you bought the chicks" The 12ish yr old daughter with him says "they WERE so cute". So I ask him what kind they are?
idunno.gif
Where did you get them? TSC....big surprise.... Did you get them from the pullet bin or straight run bin?
idunno.gif
"Whaty does that mean?" he says.
he.gif
So I take him down to my coop and ask him if they look like my 8 week old RIR's....yes. I point out the roo's and the hens, tell him what to look for. Explain to him that they will not lay eggs until about 20 weeks. He grunts and doesn't think he can wait that long. Where are you keeping them? "Well....they free range during the day and they go in the coop at night." The little girl chimes in, "we lost one though, not sure how." Then he says, "we ran out of food about a week ago, but they eat lots of grass and bushes....is this enough?" I say, "they really need to be on chick starter to grow properly, free range is not sufficient for them, especially here in Massachusetts where things are just starting to turn green" At this point the girl sees my horses and asks about ponies..... This is where I say, I really need to get back to making dinner. So as we are walking back to the house, he asks if I'll take them now? I say, sorry but I have 53 birds and that is enough for me. I suggest he put an ad on CL and surely he can find someone to take them.

I really feel bad for those little chicks. 4 weeks old, free ranging alone and probably freezing at night. Why don't people think?!?!
somad.gif

I am glad I am not one of these stupid people. I did a lot of research and still working on it. I got three chicks this year for the first time. Do you think you might be able to tell me what kind I got? I got them at TSC also and they had no idea what they sold me !! We also have the daughters that say oh they are so cute, but I knew in advance that I would be the one, the only one, taking care of them. Ours are six weeks, I think, and they are still inside. I recognize everything different about them and look it up right away. TSC makes people buy six so things like that don't happen, but I guess it happens anyways! We got lucky I guess because I asked for three and got three
smile.png
I told the guy I couldn't take care more than three. I could have probably got more.. but we have such a small house! I want to get more later- but I heard that introducing new chicks might cause problems. I think i'm going to try it next year anyways and keep them separated if need be.

This is actually my first post on this website. Is there any way to upload pictures onto the posts?

Quote:
That is that question I ask me day for day. What I see every day is sometimes to much for me. Hopefully they don't buy a pony, because they are sooooo cute....................
rant.gif
somad.gif

Quote:
Whoa, that you would come to a "Stupid people" thread and make your first post on BYC! So glad you AREN'T one of those stupid people!
smile.png

You won't be able to post photos until you have a few posts "under your belt," so to speak. But after that, just click on the "uploads" link in the top blue bar where you log in.... upload the photos from your computer, then copy the HTML code it displays for each upload into a message. Uploads opens a new window so you can flip back and forth to copy/paste codes from your uploaded photos.

welcome-byc.gif
from California, you pretty smart BYCer!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Brownsunshine! I started out last summer by reading everything I could here on BYC. In September I got my 1st order of 12 pullets.....and have loved them every minute. This spring I got bit by a strange bird bug and am now up to 53
ep.gif
Ducks, chicks and guineas. They are wonderful pets, but a ton of work. I am glad that you realized the commitment that the animals require and keep up the reading. This is a wonderful website to be a part of.
hugs.gif

Hi Brownsunshine,
welcome-byc.gif

We'll be here for you when the time comes to intigrate........
wink.png

I have never had a problem doing this.
We will look forward to seeing your pictures............................

I have a hard time believing people are THAT completley ignorant. It sounds reason for a little caution....little girl along or no.
Maybe I am a little bit suspicious
hide.gif
but I would lock the doors for a bit. Unless, ofcourse, you know these people.
Probably a good idea that you didn't take the little chickies, who knows what condition they are in. Bummer.

I completely agree with you SassyKat6181. I have sold many chicks this year and I have refused a few people that tried to purchase day olds. I ask general questions like have you raised them before? Do you have a brooder or coop? What are you going to feed them? Things like that. There was a couple that had never raised any animals before who wanted 25 chicks. They said they had a box they were put 25 in and close the top (no extra heat) and put in the garage. When I asked what they were going to feed them he said dinner scraps once a day. (The chicks he wanted were 3 days old). I told him I can't sell him any chicks because he didn't have the right things. He told me that he could do what he wanted with them. Long story short he ended up really mad that a 20 year old refused to sell him chicks. This almost ended with a call to the law because he would not leave. This has only happened once so that's enough for me.

benjoycei- I couldn't have said it any better!

welcome-byc.gif
from Oklahoma Brownsunshine! I'm glad that you planned before you acted! Congrats!

Nate

Back
Top Bottom