1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh mold/mildew and other assorted problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ryan81986, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Well I put some water in a couple weeks ago to try and test the humidity levels. Well now there is what I think is some mold/mildew in the container. Ugh, I really don't want to have to dismantle this thing to get the water tray out. Also it appears the thing is slighty rusting. So much for being real aluminum.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    What did you put the water into? I would guess it's an incubator but aluminum? Your post doesn't mention and it's a bit confusing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    Yeah sorry. I built my own incubator out of an old cooler, similar to the gopherbator on the homemade page. The water pan is an aluminum throwaway pan that you get at the supermarket.

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I'm not speaking from experience, but I've heard Oxine is awesome for using for just about everything, even the incubator water to help control bacterial and fungual growth. I'd clean everything as well as you can and spray the parts you can't clean down with either a mild bleach solution or (if you can get it) and Oxine solution.

5. Ryan81986

Oct 9, 2009
    I soaked the cooler with tons of disinfectant and bleach before I turned it into an incubator. Something must have come along on the pan or maybe the hardware cloth. Is it safe to put disinfectants in the water as it stands? Or will I have to take it apart and remove the pan and clean it out?

6. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    I would clean and disinfect EVERYTHING and then coat it with a thin layer of mold inhibiting 100% silicone. Aluminum does not rust but it will oxidize and leave a powdery substance. The silicone will prevent the humidity from contacting the offending parts. Those aluminum pans are not very strong and very prone to disintegration. A picture of your setup would help so folks can see what your dealing with.

7. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    I looked at the gopherbator and the only thing I can see that would cause a mold problem is the wood. Wood, especially if the wood is old/reclaimed contains a lot of mold/bacteria spores. I would disinfect the surface of the wood and coat that with silicone after it drys thoroughly.

ETA: The wood if uncoated would also absorb the water and mahe the humidity hard to regulate.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by