ugh.. old bator and i dont know if it will keep its temp!

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Ok, so i have a really old bator, it is one of those with a little peep hole to see the thermometerand you turn this little thing on top of the bator to make the temp you want.... well it seems to range from 90-100* because it will turn off then turn back on to try and keep the temp right but it doesnt work... will it hurt chicks for the temp to varrie that much?

Quote:
Heating elements do turn off and on to keep the the temps in the right range. The thing at the top is the heating lever. Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer to set in the bator to help you know what your temp range and humidity level is running?

That big a range is not good for incubation. Maybe it needs a new heating wafer?

Still air should run 101 to 102. Forced air 99.8 to 100 range.

My thoughts.

Yes, its a really old incubator... and probably does need a new heating wafer... it came out in the 70s so it is really old and was sitting in some guys garage for years. he had a garage sell and we bought the incubator for about 1 buck and cleaned it up and surprisingly still worked, im not saying it works well but it works.

So how much do you think the temps can range?

Anytime you have a higher temp then the 101 to 102 range for a long period you risk cooking your eggs and dead chicks. It's better for low temps than high, but I wouldn't want anything lower than a 97 to 98 and then you risk the chicks hatching out late and with problems. Best to find what wafer you have for the bator and order new ones.

I would put a new wafer and micro switch in it before i put any eggs in it. You need too get your temperature stable about 100 degrees and it shoudn't vary over 2 degrees.

i think i might have gotten it to varrrie 2 degrees now.. maybe it just needed to warm up? right now it is at 100 and does varrie a little but not as much as befor.

Quote:
This is a little off subject.. but.. your from kansas?! me too
big_smile.png

I am a master elect. and have been repairing bators for many many years, and hatching chicks since I was a child. Now with that said: What has been said by the others here is very true. But it has not gone far enough. You have not decribed the bator enough. Is it round and made of metal? If it is and it came from the 70s or maybe before you could have a bigger problem. This type was insulated inside with asbestos. If so use proper protecion and remove it. It can be replaced with Stirofoam. But be sure to use care in removing the ASBESTOS. If you are unsure of how to do it please find someone that knows how. If you have any questions just PM or E-Mail me.

Herm

Quote:
yes it is round and metal... what is asbestos? will it hurt me? or the chicks/eggs?
I have used this brand of incubator befor with no probem so i was just curious.
The temps are finally staying between 100 and 98*. so hopefully the problems hae stopped.
it doesnt say what brand just a whole bunch of numbers and where the bator was made is all.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom