Ugh! Stupid young rooster...

Obviously not something you want to hear, but this has been my experience. The couple of time's I've had 2 roos and took out the head roo because he was an intolerable pain in the butt, the more passive roo saw that as his chance to step up and become the new tough guy on the block. I'd make it a point to maintain dominance over your current roo to discourage this and hopefully prevent it from happening at all. Now that rooster #1 is gone he is now going to be the top guy and it'll be easier to prevent him from deciding he's above you now than after he's decided he's "all that". Not saying he will, but it's an easy preventative measure to just make him get out of your way when you're in the coop. Make it a point to run him off a bit. Don't let him have the chance to think he might be able to take you. 

Thanks. Yes, that scenario has entered my mind... I have hopes that he'll behave - he is a calm brahma and very respectful of me so far - but you never know. Whenever I do walk towards him he gets out of the way in a hurry. I'll notice if that should change...

Thanks. Yes, that scenario has entered my mind... I have hopes that he'll behave - he is a calm brahma and very respectful of me so far - but you never know. Whenever I do walk towards him he gets out of the way in a hurry. I'll notice if that should change...

Hopefully he stays off the naughty list. ;) Given that they were different breeds, it could be that your brahma is actually a nice rooster. Whatever your routine, it seems to be working for him. =)

I make a point of walking 'through' my cocks and cockerels often, and make sure that they always move away from me. I AM THE QUEEN! Bad boys get a couple or three chances to straighten out any bad thoughts they may have but it's just not worth it to have nasty roosters in the flock. Mary

Last edited:
So, the brahma rooster is working out alright. He is nice with the girls and me. BUT four of the hens are going bare on their backs, one actually was bleeding a tiny bit today and I will have to pick he noff the roost tonight and put some blue cote on her and possibly an apron. Do those really work? I am a bit worried it will freak her out and the others will yank on it... What else can I do? will the rooster's technique improve? Is he just too big for them after all? He doesn't seem particularly mating obsessed, but I have a feeling about half of his flock still don't really accept him and that leaves him with only 6 or so to mate with and of those he seems to have four favorites...
What can I do?
Oh, I hope more free ranging will help so they can get away if they want and he is busy with other things more?

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on them. i don't do anything unless a rooster tears a hen with his spurs. Sometimes, a hen ends up traumatized by a particularly aggresssive rooster and I have to separate the hen. I have one of those right now.

I tried the hen aprons, but they really weren't very effective for my flock. So now I just keep an eye on things. a different hen was really traumatized, so I got rid of that cockerel. She now has her feathers back and her self esteem. No longer hiding and cowering when she hears a rooster crow. For a while, she would tippy toe herself back into a nest box and hide when I let the rest out to free range. She is back to normal again.

Just keep an eye on them.  i don't do anything unless a rooster tears a hen with his spurs.   Sometimes, a hen ends up traumatized by a particularly aggresssive rooster and I have to separate the hen.  I have one of those right now.  

I tried the hen aprons, but they really weren't very effective for my flock.  So now I just keep an eye on things.   a different hen was really traumatized, so I got rid of that cockerel.   She now has her feathers back and her self esteem.  No longer hiding and cowering when she hears a rooster crow.  For a while, she would tippy toe herself back into a nest box and hide when I let the rest out to free range.  She is back to normal again.  

Thanks!
Yes, I have kept an eye on it , but yesterday I sawblood for the first time. Just a little scratch or maybe a broken feather shaft - I let them out to frolick in the meadow for a couple of hours to distract everyone from the little spot of blood till it dried up and she looks fine again today. But now I am worried this will happen again and when I am not around to supervise and check it might end badly for little Rosie. And of course it could happen with the other girls, too.
I have a couple of fancy aprons here that I bought when the first tiny bald spot showed up to have on hand if needed. I have just been hesitant to use them until now. I just ordered a few more aprons - these with big "predator eyes" sown on, might as well, we have plenty of hawks - because I think I will have to protect the favorite hens very soon...
I just wonder if my roo's technique will improve over time? Technically he is still just a cockerel- he will be a year old end of March. Also, he was the beta roo until about a month ago when I finally got rid of our aggressive Welsumer cockerel, and the hens wanted nothing to do with him while the alpha was still around, so he really has not had much practice mating... He doesn't seem overly aggressive, he is quite calm usually and he leaves the hens that protest vigorously alone - that's probably why the others get too much use...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom