Ugh... Wasting Food & Feed for my Roo

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by R.M. Hens, Jun 21, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Right now I am feeding layer pellets to my girls, but they waste so much. Everyday there is alot of the feed on the ground by the feeder. How can I stop this or atleast not waste so much? Will switching to crumbles be better?

Also, is my roo getting enough to eat from the little bit of scratch that I throw for treats? or from the laying pellets? I have a small feeder that I have tried to put just scratch in to make sure he is getting some food, but everytime I put it out the hens eat it before my roo gets some. He is growing like a weed so I know he is getting food, but should I just offer pellets or crumble for the whole flock?

Thanks for the replies.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would set out a dinner plate just for him, a maintenance diet for roosters. He shouldn't be eating the layer pellets. The girls probably wouldn't eat much of his food if they have layer feed. He needs more than scratch and treats. [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Let the girls go a day without food, they'll clean up. Also, it helps if you haven't already, raise the feeder up to back height. The feeder I have has little plastic partitions that keep them from billing food out all over. You could try feeding them all flock raiser and offering free choice oyster shell or crushed egg shells for the girls.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I have to make sure the rooster gets plenty, because the girls stick their heads into his pen and eat his food. It's the same as in their feeder, but they like his best!

If they spill a lot, I declare a clean-up day and don't put any new food out. They'll vacuum the area pretty soon!

5. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks for the suggestions. Since posting I have raised the feeder on a cinder block for now. If that works, I will hang it. I am going to the feed store today to get food. I'm hoping they sell flock raiser. Flock raiser would make my life so much easier!!

Thanks again for the replies!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by