Ughh..

BobwhiteQuailLover

Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok so I got kicked by an American Shetland that i'm training in the face. I might have to give up riding because my parents don't want me to get hurt. :(
I'll still be able to do stuff with Shetties, but that's it....

Sooo sad. :'(

hugs.gif

Is the horse yours? If not, couldn't you just stop training it and move on to a gentler one if your parents are concerned?

I hope this does not come across as totally un-sympathetic....

But... what were you doing for a pony as small as a Shetland to be able to kick you in the face?
The calf, maybe.. the knee... or the thigh.... but you must have been bent over behind it, sitting down, or something similar.

On to how that *Might* help you with this current problem with your parents.... you can make a case to them that it was purely human error. That if one deals with horses in a safety conscious manner, these things are rare occurences.

Propose going to recieve further safety instruction from a riding instructor, a trainer, or an experienced & knowledgeable family friend, ect... perhaps in exchange for help with horse related chores....

If you come back to your parents with your new "credentials" and promise them to be more aware and safety conscious in the future.... there may be the possibility they will allow you to continue riding and having fun with the ponies :D

I hope this does not come across as totally un-sympathetic....

But... what were you doing for a pony as small as a Shetland to be able to kick you in the face?

This was kinda what I was thinking - you have to put some effort into getting your face close enough to get kicked by a Shetland!
You have to think safety all the time - I'm 44 years old and my Mom still worries about me getting hurt.
wink.png
I have to remind myself regularly as well; it's easy to fall into a situation where you trust a horse and start getting a little lazy with good barn practices.
Last spring I was squatting under Red trying to fix his blanket buckle. Despite having known and trusted this horse for years, as I was sitting there I thought, "this isn't the best idea...". The thought had barely crossed my mind when a big chunk of ice fell off the cupola onto the roof and made a huge racket, scaring the bejeebies out of Red. I turtled up as Red reared and wheeled over the top of me. Happily he is a kind and agile fellow and managed to hop off of me, but it was a good reminder that even the most bomb-proof horse can be startled from time to time.
Are you OK? My friend still has a dent in her forehead from a kick she got when we were kids!

Ouch! Are you ok? You got great advice from the above posters.
Please explain how the accident happened.
There is a quote that I can't remember word for word but it goes something like..."You will get hurt if you work with horses. The only things unknown is when and how badly."
So sorry you took a kick to the face...I can't even imagine how much that would hurt. I got a good solid one to the thigh once and that put me on the ground for a while.

Well first of all it's an American Shetland that was 13hh. He didn;t really kick, it was a buck. I'm perfectly fine, just a little scratch. :)

Back
Top Bottom