Ugly Babies?

I just don't understand why this place sold them to me as White Leghorns. It's dirty pool to do someone like that!!!! Now, I have to learn how to butcher them AND figure out how much longer I'll have to keep the little dears since they've been on medicated feed too long. They DO have a goofball personality and the sweetest disposition to them. THIS SUCKS!!
hit.gif

I have to say, inexperienced BUYER BE WARE OF Murray's Hatchery, 3930 E US Hwy 70, Claremont, NC 28610 (828) 459-7139!!

It happens, lots of times they get mixed up in bins because as day olds, they DO look almost Exactly the same. If you ask the hatchery, they may refund your money. Differences show up starting about a week in if you don't have them side by side.

As for med food, chances are the tag will say amp only. If so, you can continue feeding that all the way through butcher. There is no withdraw time on the med, since it is only a cocciosistant. Just let the food dish go empty for a few hours every day, or do food only when the sun is up to reduce growth problems. Just butcher when you feel they have enough meat on them. Figure they will weigh about 75% of their live weight dressed. Do remember not to feed for at least 12 hours before you do the deed.

Oh, if your medicated food contains sulfa drugs in it, as long as nobody is alergic to sulfa based drugs, don't worry about it.

These babies were approximately a week old when we happened across this hatchery and stopped in to take a peek. They were in a tub brooder in the basement of a cellar and I said, "Are these babies Leghorns?" and the guy replied, "Yes, Leghorns." Hindsight tells me that just because the sign at the road said "Murray Hatchery" didn't make them a legit hatchery.....

I kept telling my husband that these babies were really heavy for their age; much heavier than the ones I just put outside. (They were RIR's, Australorps, Barred Rocks, Dominiques, NH Red) Now, I know why.....

74460_sany0598.jpg

74460_sany0597.jpg

74460_sany0595.jpg

74460_sany0594.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, you have more than just the 3... now I'm even more sorry for you. They will start gaining weight exponentially in the coming weeks. You'll want to find a way to keep them outside in a run that you can move or they will stomp grass to nothing.

There are five of them. There was 6, but one died early on. I thought that it was still a little too cold to have them outside without much feathering. They're about 3 1/2 weeks old right now and still living in the homemade playpen brooder in my living room. I figured I'd just keep them there until their "D-Day". I'm definitely not familiar with the breed. Should I be moving them outside already?

Last edited:
If you can make a shelter for them outside, they can go out as soon as you want. Trust me... you don't want even one 6-8lb live birds inside pooping up a storm. But then again, you've got enough patience to have them inside already for already almost a month! Might go check out the meat bird section.

Well, I put them up on my local Craigslist. Hoping that someone buys them before I have to do the deed. Thanks to all of you for the education, support and hugs. To think, when I posted this, I was worried that my "Leghorns" were developing abnormally or were sick! LOL!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom