Ugly Fisher Cat

KO-KO-MO

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
I am about 100% sure that I have fisher cats killing my chickens. What is the best way to get rid of them. I never see them but hear that horrible scream in the middle of the night. Is the haveaheart trap any good?

Thanks

I don't know about trapping them, but maybe you should build some sort of sturdy sleeping pen for your chickens at night. It doesn't have to be huge or expensive, just a sturdy box/shed with roosts and some ventillation.

Depending on where you are, they may be a protected species. Here in Mass. you can't kill, trap, move, or even harrass them. They are very protected (for whatever reason). Nasty critters. They like to live in secluded areas, like the top of pine trees and don't like any kind of commotion. I had one living in the second floor of the barn for three seasons. The started using the barn more and more, kept the radio on, etc. he just moved on.

I am sorry you have the problem. But, I'd think it was cool if I lived in a place that had these magnificent predators - although I'd probably cuss about having to build a really tight coop to keep birds in at night!

Call your local office for the Dept. of Wildlife. Get the scoop on the Fisher Cats and whether it is legal to trap them. Let them know they are killing your birds and etc and see if they can trap and relocate or if you can get a permit to do so.

They are vicious things and are like a weasel...they can get in through a small opening. Tighten up security bigtime.

Back
Top Bottom