Ugly Hen and Runty Roo?

klpenny

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Pittsburgh
I have 6 barred rock bantams that are now about than 7 weeks old (I got them as day olds) I am 100% sure that one is a hen and 3 are roos (the little buggers are crowing and cock fighting)

Two of them I am on the fence about.

One that I think is a hen, is still not fully feathered (feathering in more like a roo than a hen), a little long backed but it is smaller and darker and has a smaller darker head. It has not developed a comb or wattles (still yellow stubble) and has the dark wash down it's front legs. I am hoping it is just an ugly hen.

One of the ones I am thinking is a roo, is much smaller than the other boys, but it is larger and lighter than my hens. It has developed a comb and some small wattles but the comb is not large nor as red as the others that are obviously roos, it's legs are very pale with very little dark wash but on the thin side. It acts kind of cocky but I haven't seen it try to crow yet.

I am right in assuming that the one is just an ugly hen and the other is a runty roo?

Thanks I am sure her "ugliness" is more due to her personality than her looks. She very skittish and does not like to be messed with at all. I think she is kind of gawky looking, long legs, neck and back, narrow breasted plus she is not feathering in very nicely at all, The other two hens (not pictured) are much prettier and very friendly.

Thanks I am sure her "ugliness" is more due to her personality than her looks. She very skittish and does not like to be messed with at all. I think she is kind of gawky looking, long legs, neck and back, narrow breasted plus she is not feathering in very nicely at all,  The other two hens (not pictured) are much prettier and very friendly.
Well the picture cuts off at her head ;)

Usually the crazy ones calm down at POL - at least mine did. I had the craziest hen - almost got rid of her. Once she started laying, she was an entirely different chicken.

Back
Top Bottom