Ugly reclaimed wood chicken coop build

Killingwithasmile

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Just 3 days ago I found out we are going to be getting 10 hens from someone who can no longer take care of them. I didn't have a coop setup or enough money to buy one big enough so I was able to get some old studs from my parents demo project last year and bought some plywood. I have all day tomorrow to finish it up before I have to pick up the chickens. My coop is super ugly but seems sturdy. I have no building experience. Anyone ever do something like this? I plan on making it prettier in the future.

Attachments

• PXL_20210105_153952314.jpg
    PXL_20210105_153952314.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20210105_153943403.jpg
    PXL_20210105_153943403.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 21
You'll want to be sure that they've got a place to get out of the rain/wind/snow. Chickens do really well in cold weather as long as they have the basic shelter needs met.

Also- because you live somewhere in snow, make sure your roof will shed the snow and eventual rain.

Look for a recycled building materials store, also search "reclaimed" "rebuilding" - a great place to find things at really low prices.

For example in my area:

Building Material Resources (materialforless.com)

Just 3 days ago I found out we are going to be getting 10 hens from someone who can no longer take care of them. I didn't have a coop setup or enough money to buy one big enough so I was able to get some old studs from my parents demo project last year and bought some plywood. I have all day tomorrow to finish it up before I have to pick up the chickens. My coop is super ugly but seems sturdy. I have no building experience. Anyone ever do something like this? I plan on making it prettier in the future.
Pretty good for a new comer. By the way welcome to BYC :welcome :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom