Uh oh.. does this mean my chickens are getting frostbitten?

Hopefully it isn't, and I'm sure the massaging is appreciated too!
lol.png

Might be frozen grooming dust!

Quote:
Yeah mine are out almost everyday, I open the door for them unless its either REALLY COLD like -25 or REALLY WINDY. The front of the coop where we come in gets the prevailing winds from the North, and their pop door and run is at the back to the south which should get sun all day (though obviously not when it's overcast out lol).

Mine are a cold hardy cross, and have done very well so far. I vaselined them and they seem happier now, and everyones combs are back to bright flaming red.

I've had a cold lately, plus been out working in low windchill conditions a fair amount the past few days, and my nose and lips are quite chapped.... I wish some kind *chicken* would come along and put vaseline on *me*, LOL

My only tub is out in the coop right now, though, and since it's had my chicken-coop-y fingers in and out of it countless times, I am not real excited about the idea of putting any of that particular vaseline on broken skin or around my mouth
tongue.png

Pat

Pat, you need to treat yourself to some lip balm. I found the nicest stuff at our grocery yesterday for $3.99, with honey, peppermint oil and glycerine. The miniature tin fits easily in a barn coat pocket. In fact I should get another for my purse! The hens will be *jealous*.
tongue.png

Hey I wonder if Vaseline comes in a stick for easier application. I have some old tubes of lipstick...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I hope you shake that cold soon, the weather has been *vicious* but I know what you mean- the work is not optional.

Last edited:
People do use Vaseline or similar goopy stuff to prevent frostbite on humans. This is known as a trick for skiers, cold weather runners, year-round bicycle commuters, for example. Vaseline won't prevent frostbite for either people or chickens if it is really, really cold, but it might give you or your birds an extra edge if temps are on the borderline.

Here's a link from the City of Ottawa website:
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/heal...afe/recreation/winter/frostbite_alert_en.html

Last night was -9 F at my house, and the coldest temp to date in the coop: 12 F. Since I only have 4 birds, I have decided to add some heat when the temps get that cold. If it is a sunny day the night before such cold temps, my coop warms up due to its passive solar design. But if it is a cloudy day, the coop doesn't heat up enough to make it over the night at a reasonable temperature.

Back
Top Bottom