Uh Oh- got a little egg, and we're not ready!!

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
Our 4 older girls are 6 month old RSL's who started laying at 17-19 weeks old. They have their own big girl coop.
We have 6 little girls(RIR mix), and try as we might, their house isn't ready yet, and they have been housed in the shed. We put boards over the top of their little brooder box for them to roost on. The brooder box is fulla poop, of course.
I have been pestering (nagging)Bird Hearder to get the coop done. I have been reminding him how old the little ones are, etc etc. This past weekend, I told him that the little ones are now 18 weeks old, and 2 of them look like they will be laying any day now. Coop didn't get done because it rained all weekend.
So today, he sees one of the little ones in the shed by herself, and goes to investigate, and what does he find? Yup, a little tiny egg. In the brooder box-o-poop. UGH!!!
I am happy she at least went into the shed to lay. I'm thinking we might have to go on an egg hunt. The chickens free range through my yard, and 4 neighbors yards. No way I'll be able to find a stash.
I might just be the first person who is hoping the chickens will NOT lay any more eggs yet.

LOL well, a hen's gotta lay when a hen's gotta lay!
tongue.png

Just try and build that coop FAST!
wink.png
Before the others start laying!
Congrats on the new and first egg!
big_smile.png

Just put something in the shed for her to use in the meantime. A 5 gal. bucket, a kitty litter box, anything you can fill with some hay or dried grass clippings.
I feel for ya. Our coop took so long to build, one girl got tired of waiting on us and layed her first eggs in a canvas lawn chair on the porch.

Methinks Bird Hearder should go on an egg hunt today to see if the other little ones have been laying. He can check under the neighbors motorhome.
and then.. GET THAT COOP DONE!!

Quote:
Now that is a new one I think I might try it publicly announce something needs doing .......... might get done..........LOL............LOL

hee hee- it must be working. When I left for work he was outside.
The biggest little rooster was yelling at him to let the Ladies out , and our newest layer was checking out the new house. I think she was nagging BH to get it done also.
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
Just brezzing through a few threads and saw this.
gig.gif
Thats Great Wonderful that Bird Herder is right on line to get his Honey do list
gig.gif

I agree give those girls a box or some thing with straw to lay in during the construction time.
D.gif

Nice job Lilbizzy

big_smile.png
Karanleaf

Back
Top Bottom