Uh-oh, Roos?

Heather01

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2016
I have two chicks that look like they possibly may be roos. One is a mystic maran, the front one is bigger, comb is more pronounced and the wing pattern is different. Then, the buff Orpington, the one is much larger with a more pronounced comb. They were supposed to be sexed.

Attachments

• B16C5035-DE7E-475E-8272-F6C86E7B722A.jpeg
    B16C5035-DE7E-475E-8272-F6C86E7B722A.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 98AFED03-76D6-484F-885A-5D74F27ADE7C.jpeg
    98AFED03-76D6-484F-885A-5D74F27ADE7C.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 20
How old? What source for the chicks?

I see your concern, but they look young. I’ve had Marans and the girls get some color earlier than expected for red, but males will conrinue to develop comb and more color, so when compared they look different. Hopefully they are correctly sexed.

How old? What source for the chicks?

I see your concern, but they look young. I’ve had Marans and the girls get some color earlier than expected for red, but males will conrinue to develop comb and more color, so when compared they look different. Hopefully they are correctly sexed.
The buffs are a few weeks old from Agway and the marans are a couple of weeks old from tractor supply. Potentially a week would be added to each of those ages since I don’t know when they hatched. I hope they are correct as well.

I do agree that they are a little to young. But they do have a fair amount of comb development for only being a few weeks old. Hopefully they both turn out to be correctly sexed :fl

There are no Buff Orpingtons pictured. I looks to me you have a Red Sexlink pullet and a broiler breed cockerel. Mystic Marans are black sexlinks so the males would be barred and females black. The barred chick with the larger comb is a cockerel
I agree with Rhodebar Lover on all points.

There are no Buff Orpingtons pictured. I looks to me you have a Red Sexlink pullet and a broiler breed cockerel. Mystic Marans are black sexlinks so the males would be barred and females black. The barred chick with the larger comb is a cockerel
Interesting...so, the store gets them mixed up maybe? So you said broiler breed....is that the weird breed the grows really fast and has to be culled??

Interesting...so, the store gets them mixed up maybe? So you said broiler breed....is that the weird breed the grows really fast and has to be culled??
I believe you mean Cornish x. It isn't one of those, but likely is a red broiler of some sort. Hatcheries have all different names for them. I am not familiar with if they need to be culled by a certain age or not, but judging by his growth rate right now, it likely needs to be kept in check if you want him to mature into adulthood

I believe you mean Cornish x. It isn't one of those, but likely is a red broiler of some sort. Hatcheries have all different names for them. I am not familiar with if they need to be culled by a certain age or not, but judging by his growth rate right now, it likely needs to be kept in check if you want him to mature into adulthood
Ok, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom