Uh oh - skunk smell

lcountry

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
As the guy at the feed store said - "everyone loves chicken"... This morning, I go out and smell a skunk. I hope he doesn't think we're running restaurant for predators. No casualties, and I want to keep it that way!

I have a german shepherd that is out and about around the coop at night usually. My dog was out last night, but had been locked in the barn the previous 2-3 nights due to the fireworks around. I'm wondering if her being locked up those days gave the skunk time to start coming around. Now that she's out again will he go away? Is she enough to deter a skunk from wanting to hang around?

I do know that there are coyotes around, but again - haven't seen one yet. My kids want either a pet mini-donkey or a small goat. I've been dragging my feet - not really wanting either. However, would either be good at keeping the predators (skunks, raccoons, coyotes, etc) away from my chickens? That might tip the scales towards getting one.

Skunks are rather lazy...they'll eat it if it's right in front of them, but as for climbing or digging, most likely not. They're also more likely to eat eggs or brand new hatchlings.

I want goats so badly...now I have another good point to "talk" my DH into giving in!!!!!

Only thing is..... you need 2 goats....and have to castrate the male or it'll get pretty stinky around him. Goats are happiest in 2's r 3's or 4's...hehe

Sadest and lonliest goat is the single goat. I have heard of some actually dieing from being alone.

"cross my fingers"
No issus yet with predators...other then snakes sleeping in straw, and chipmunks stealing food.
Have seen a fisher going onto my 15 acres from another property thats being logged.
And the neighboors hungry dog....
My next project is reinforcing the outdoor runs with stronger wire then chicken wire. Love to freerange but cannot handle the heart break of them getting picked up by a hawk or chased by a cat. My rooster is a silverlaced cochin, he acts tough but I am doubting his fight abilities.

If you smell skunk, don't see signs of skunks, have coyotes in area, you could be smelling coyotes as they love to eat skunks and smell of skunk. Problem w/coyotes is they also eat dogs, chickens, cats, etc......

I just got rid of 3 of a family of 5. The other 2 disappeared after the other 3 got a lead welcome. I'm glad as they do eat a lot of pests but they also kill chickens, which is why I persuaded them to relocate.

Ewww! Coyotes eat skunk?!?! I had no idea that anything ate skunk!

I'm leaving my dog out and the barn floodlights on tonight. Maybe it'll be a deterrent, at least I'll be able to see out there if I hear a noise.

I wouldn't want a sad goat, but couldn't a goat befriend my horses? I'm starting to feel a little like Noah - 2x2's!

I caught a skunk dead in the act of attacking my chickens. He managed to get 3 before I knew what was getting them. He also had to dig to get to them. We shot at maybe hit it? and set off lots of fireworks where we saw it run to hide after being shot at. Then the next night the neighbor had 14 of his chickens killed by a skunk. These chickens were barred rocks approximately 8 weeks old. He managed to trap and kill that skunk.

Kim

About the goats---- Critters like coyotes don't like their odor, and will (normally) keep away.
smile.png

Good luck with that skunk. :eek:

Any suggestions on what to bait traps with to catch skunks?

I have been TOO succesful catchings coons, I have two more this morning which were the last of of the three young ones that I found eating the dog food in the middle of the afternoon last month; this morning's catch puts the total count of coons caught at SIX! but near one of the sheds were I have been catching them, I keep smelling the very persistant smell of skunk and I believe there are skunks around the place as I have seen them scurring down the lane at night when I have came home late.

Could it just be a old male coon? My gold solution for baiting the coon traps has been a mixture of dog food, wet cat food from a can with a little water mixed in which offers a nasty smell (eyuck I HATE that cat food stuff in the can!).

From a postion of pure luck I have not anything get into the coop but I'm trying to be proactive to prevent such, next question is... what does one do with a skunk when it's caught in trap!?!?!? I release the possums and coons 20+ miles away but I'm not to eager to put a trap in the truck that contains a skunk and haul it down the road.

(My buddies at work think I should put the critters in the bosses office but while I'm a eager fan of practical jokes but that's taking it a little too far)

Update:

Well, It appears what I'm doing for coons and possums works for skunks, caught two this morning; not sure who as more scared, me or them?!?! All I could think about was if I got sprayed!! Unlike coons who shot out of the cage like a rocket, these guys took their sweet time and wandered off into the woods.

So far that makes 6 coons, three possums and two skunks in just over a month since I started trapping!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom