Uh-oh....something seems wrong with my baby

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
Until this afternoon he seemed fine....now I have a baby who is standing strangely......I am trying to send a pic from my phone to my email but it is taking FOREVER....will post when it gets here!

Anyway....you know how ducks hold their heads up where you can see their neck....well this baby is resting his head on his chest....Kinda like a capital letter S....the top of the S is resting on the middle part. Does that make sense? He looks all squatty. Any guesses??

uhoh1.jpg

Can you tell he is standing weird?

ETA: I just started feeding them big kid food last night. I am crumbling some 18% All Flock and mixing it with the big pellets. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old.

Last edited:
Can you handle the duck or does he get overly agitated? I'm wondering if you can gently feel along the neck, the shoulders and back to see if there's an injury.

Meanwhile, I'd add some extra niacin to the water (apologies if you already do that, I lose track of who's doing what on the forum), and some vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics as a health boost, if you're not doing so already.

Sometimes I take a duck in to the bathtub so I can watch them closely, by themselves for a few to get a gut feeling about where the problem is.

Usually when mine retract their necks, it's because they're too cold, or upset about something they cannot get away from.

Do the ducks roughhouse? Are there other animals around (goose, larger ducks) who may have grabbed him by the neck?

If the ducks tear around alot, maybe a little quiet time by himself might help.

I actually have this guy in with my little runt, so he is already seperated. Though....during the day, he is in the outside pen with everyone.

Ugh...I hate when something happens like this...it stresses me out!

I appreciate your help. A LOT!

Back
Top Bottom