Uhhh....why does my Easter egger have a fifth toe?

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
So yesterday I got my first batch of chicks! I got 7, 4 different coloured silkies (1 week old), 1 lavender Araucana (1 week), a gold laced EE, and a silver laced. The EE are 2 and a bit weeks old, I was told, and they are much bigger than the other chicks (but I don’t think that’ll cause me a problem)

I just noticed that one of my EEs, the gold laced one, has 5 toes. (The other just has 4). She has pinkish sort of legs, and also a single comb (single comb? Is that normal? I hadn’t heard of EEs having 5 toes.

To be clear, I don’t mind, I’m not showing them or anything, they are pets, but I was just curious!

They have been vent-sexed by a vet (the two EEs) and are definitely girls. They are not Araucanas or ameraucuanas, they are definitely EEs. Because EEs aren’t a real breed, maybe there is more diversity in traits? I’ll try to get some photos, but this girl will not sit still.

Thanks!

Ok...got some... Also, she hasn’t like a little bit of poop caked around her middle toe...should I try to gently wipe it off? It would be very difficult to keep her still, and it would probably traumatise her....
FAE7D8E0-DFE4-406D-A5B7-FCAF2B22A174.jpeg
0F3710DE-4277-456D-8B95-1D33DE7EC95C.jpeg
B3F9955A-F4F2-4F24-B423-5BC9DC774274.jpeg

Ok...got some... Also, she hasn’t like a little bit of poop caked around her middle toe...should I try to gently wipe it off? It would be very difficult to keep her still, and it would probably traumatise her....View attachment 2270643View attachment 2270645View attachment 2270641
Very cute!

Yes, this caked poop needs to be cleaned off her toes. And do not worry, she will not be traumatized by handling her gently. In fact you should handle them all daily so they will get used to you and you will be able to inspect them more easily.

Very cute!

Yes, this caked poop needs to be cleaned off her toes. And do not worry, she will not be traumatized by handling her gently. In fact you should handle them all daily so they will get used to you and you will be able to inspect them more easily.
Yep! I’ve been putting my hand in the brooder so they can get used to me. The EEs peck me NON STOP! I’ve been gently picking them up, they don’t freak out, but eventually try to jump back in Thebes brooder. This EE is much more skittish. I want to make them into super friendly lap chickens...I’m not quite sure how to go about it except handling them a lot? Will they learn to like it?

But how do I do it? She squirms when I hold her. She is ok to sit on my hand for a bit, but will eventually try to fly off. I can’t really hold her and her toe steady, as well as wiping it.

Edit: I wiped it, but couldn’t seem to make a dent in it. It’s rock hard...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom