Uhhh....why does my Easter egger have a fifth toe?

They will get used to it and some will even like it a lot. Just spend lots of time with them and they will start to crawl allover you and sit on your shoulder.

But how do I do it? She squirms when I hold her. She is ok to sit on my hand for a bit, but will eventually try to fly off. I can’t really hold her and her toe steady, as well as wiping it.
Let her sit in the palm of your hand and let her legs slip through fingers. With your other hand you can clean the little toes while keeping her legs between the fingers of your other hand.

Like @LittleRaptorLadies just advised it might be easier to get the gunk off when soaking the feet in warm water.

Good news! I put a very shallow tub of warm water, and put her in to soak. She didn’t mind too much. I gently wiped at the poop and breathed on her to keep her warm. She almost fell asleep! We have made a little bit of progress! There’s still plenty on there, but I wanted to put her back under the lamp to warm up. I’ll have another go in a few minutes!
2C4EE3AD-6D74-4461-B646-57A4A22A6BE4.jpeg

They will get used to it and some will even like it a lot. Just spend lots of time with them and they will start to crawl allover you and sit on your shoulder.
I love everything about these chicks but the poop. I’m not too fussed if the poop on my, but if they got it on my clothes or the carpet my mum would lay an egg. For some reason I’m unsure how to handle theses guys, do I just keep gently picking them up a few times a day? I’ve been doing that and putting my hand in the brooder so they can get used to me...it must be terrifying having a giant monster face staring into your bare home all the time...

I love everything about these chicks but the poop. I’m not too fussed if the poop on my, but if they got it on my clothes or the carpet my mum would lay an egg. For some reason I’m unsure how to handle theses guys, do I just keep gently picking them up a few times a day? I’ve been doing that and putting my hand in the brooder so they can get used to me...it must be terrifying having a giant monster face staring into your bare home all the time...
Well, if you talk to them in a soft and gentle tone your "giant monster face" will not be scary but they will love it and come running every time they see it or hear your voice.

Regarding the unevitable poop: put an old towel on your legs and shoulder for them to sit on, so the poops can be easily cleaned up and your mother will not be too disgusted.

So yesterday I got my first batch of chicks! I got 7, 4 different coloured silkies (1 week old), 1 lavender Araucana (1 week), a gold laced EE, and a silver laced. The EE are 2 and a bit weeks old, I was told, and they are much bigger than the other chicks (but I don’t think that’ll cause me a problem)

I just noticed that one of my EEs, the gold laced one, has 5 toes. (The other just has 4). She has pinkish sort of legs, and also a single comb (single comb? Is that normal? I hadn’t heard of EEs having 5 toes.

To be clear, I don’t mind, I’m not showing them or anything, they are pets, but I was just curious!

They have been vent-sexed by a vet (the two EEs) and are definitely girls. They are not Araucanas or ameraucuanas, they are definitely EEs. Because EEs aren’t a real breed, maybe there is more diversity in traits? I’ll try to get some photos, but this girl will not sit still.

Thanks!
I have a 2&1/2 month old Polish roo that has an extra toe. It's on his back toe-- it's actually split from the same toe with two claws. Very strange. We love him anyway!

Back
Top Bottom