Uhm... I think I have some twins!

Laney3535

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Oregon
I recently bought some Silkie and serama hatching eggs from a lady I know. Well she shipped them to me and I set them 24 hours later. I candle day 4 and 5 to check for any eggs that HAVE to be culled. Well day 5, and I noticed that one of my eggs (single yolk) has two separate embryos growing. Two different eyes and two different hearts. Has anyone ever seen this? I know it's nearly impossible for twins to even develops beyond day 7. But I'm curious how these will do. I thought I was imagining the other embryo but nope.

It's very rare. Twin hatchings are rarely successful. Eggs do not have enough room for two growing, developing embryos and can't stretch like a womb can. One twin will usually end up partially absorbing the other. If they do survive to hatch, they will require assistance. Due to the lack of space, it's nearly impossible for both chicks to pip at the right spot. And if they manage to pip, they won't have the room to maneuver a zip all the way around.
For these reasons, most people do not even attempt to hatch double or triple yolker eggs.
Just FYI, don't cull eggs until at least day 7. Sometimes those 'duds' end up surprising you.

It's very rare. Twin hatchings are rarely successful. Eggs do not have enough room for two growing, developing embryos and can't stretch like a womb can. One twin will usually end up partially absorbing the other. If they do survive to hatch, they will require assistance. Due to the lack of space, it's nearly impossible for both chicks to pip at the right spot. And if they manage to pip, they won't have the room to maneuver a zip all the way around.
For these reasons, most people do not even attempt to hatch double or triple yolker eggs.
Just FYI, don't cull eggs until at least day 7. Sometimes those 'duds' end up surprising you.

I have never tried a double yolker because of the risks. This is a single yolk with two embryos it so weird!

I separate the non developing eggs from developing eggs by moving them to separate sides of the incubator. I have only removed one, with a distinct little blood ring and no embryo, the yolk was also disapated so I knew it was over for that serama egg :( sad day! The rest I'm giving till day 7 :) I have too much hope for the rest! Although I'm concerned for the twins :( I'll try to get a picture later

Back
Top Bottom