Unable to tell if crop is just sour or impacted or both

genesis1981

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
I have a 3 year old sapphire gem who was my most prolific layer. She stopped laying a month ago after laying a couple of misshaped eggs. I checked her regularly and she was never bound and acting normal so I hoped she’d come out of it. A few days ago she stopped being as aggressive about food. Yesterday she stopped wanting to eat and I felt her crop and it felt squishy. This morning first thing it was also full and both squishy and still had food in it. No smell around her beak. No fluid observed coming out. Pooping very little but looks normal.

I isolated her, took away food and water, began lightly massaging the crop this morning. She was alert this morning but now she’s getting lethargic and her crop only seems to be puffing out more despite not having food or water since she had a little grit this morning.
I’m concerned she had an infection from egg yolk peritonitis and now it’s manifesting this way. I’m afraid to tip her over but that crop is feeling very full of fluid. Advice would be appreciated. I don’t have any helpers around til Sunday so I’m worried about what my next move should be.

She stopped laying a month ago after laying a couple of misshaped eggs.

Yesterday she stopped wanting to eat and I felt her crop and it felt squishy. This morning first thing it was also full and both squishy and still had food in it.

I would not vomit her.
Take care when massaging a crop that is full of fluid/water, you risk them aspirating.

Is she pooping?
If she's not, then I'd work on getting some extra Calcium into her.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Since she's now declining, I'd leave her separated. I usually leave mine with their flock unless they are getting picked at. I don't take away food/water during waking hours either. When they have a crop problem, they usually will limit what they consume. They may drink a lot in an attempt to clear the crop.

Do you feel any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?
With her laying misshaped eggs and stopping laying, she may have EYP, Salpingitis, cancer or some other reproductive problem. Were the eggs whole with hard shells or did you happen to take photos of them?

Work on hydration, work on the crop.
Often all you can do is offer supportive care and see how it goes. If you lose her and want to find out more, you can send the body to your state lab for necropsy or choose to take a look yourself, sometimes you will find a lot just by doing it yourself.

Here's info on treating the crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would not vomit her.
Take care when massaging a crop that is full of fluid/water, you risk them aspirating.

Is she pooping?
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Since she's now declining, I'd leave her separated. I usually leave mine with their flock unless they are getting picked at. I don't take away food/water during waking hours either. When they have a crop problem, they usually will limit what they consume. They may drink a lot in an attempt to clear the crop.

With her laying misshaped eggs and stopping laying, she may have EYP, Salpingitis, cancer or some other reproductive problem. Were the eggs whole with hard shells or did you happen to take photos of them?

Often all you can do is offer supportive care and see how it goes. If you lose her and want to find out more, you can send the body to your state lab for necropsy or choose to take a look yourself, sometimes you will find a lot just by doing it yourself.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thanks so much for replying. I did read that article. And I have been really scared to massage her crop the last several hours because it’s just so full.
I keep reading here people vomit their chickened successfully but I’m a bit afraid to do it to her. But that crop is just sooo fukl. And I still feel food in there also. I hat is the best course of action when there’s an impaction AND it’s full of fluid? I have only experience a crop that is impacted and almost dry. And in that case I know it’s great to offer them water.
Since in one case you’re supposed to withhold fluid and in another you’re supposed to offer it, I have really been unsure whether to supply her with water or not.

The eggs she laid were very hard shells, just very large and with almost pointy bumpy tips. Before that she was the most consistent layer I’ve ever had.

I would not vomit her.

Is she pooping?

Also no fluid in abdomen. I keep checking there. It’s all in the crop. She’s pooping a little. She’s standing or sitting. Not closing her eyes. She seems more annoyed than anything about being in jail!

If she seems o.k. to return to the flock, then I'd let her out with them, you can always pull her out to give medication/treatment.

I never withhold food/water for any type of crop issue. I just go out and treat them while in the coop or grab them and take them aside for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom