Unable to Walk - Help!

Whittehitt

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Hey guys, I was wanting to make another post to get some new ideas for my pullet and what could be wrong. I'm not 100% sure it's Marek's so I'd like help in ruling some things out.
She's maybe 11 weeks old, I've had her and two other pullets since May, so for almost 2 months. I mistakenly started them on layer crumble because I wasn't thinking and they were in the same coop with my one hen. I've switched their feed to all flock pellets for the last two weeks.

When I first brought them home I saw blood in their poop, so I treated for cocci. Blood went away but then came back, so I treated again. I did not give any additional vitamins after each Corid treatment like I now know you're supposed to do. I did go heavy on the Corid dosage - there are so many different recommendations online for teaspoons/tablespoons per gallon.

Other two pullets are fine, but this one girl who is definitely lowest on the pecking order has lost her ability to walk. Looking back she has always been kind of slow I guess you could say, not as alert. She's a Beilefelder and I specifically got one because I've read about their laid back personality, so I figured that paired with a cocci outbreak - she's bound to be a little out of it. But she ate and drank fine and kept up with her two other pullet friends.

About 2 weeks ago *notably on the last day of the second round of Corid treatment, so day 5*, I noticed her closing her eyes and moving slow. I looked her over and didn't see anything. Next morning I let them out into their run and she's wobbling and falling. I put her in a kennel in the coop and give her vitamins. Next day she can't stand at all.

So at this moment she still cannot walk. One leg she is unable to move, the other she can move. She will do the Marek splits that I've read about but I've had her in a sling for the past few days and inside so she's not fighting the heat as well. Appetite is good, she drinks good. She's having trouble breathing though, lots of open mouth breathing, esp after eating or drinking almost as if it's tough to swallow. This could be because of her laying on her chest though and not eating while standing? Just a guess though.

I initially gave her Nutri Drench 2ml/2x/day along with a B Complex paste, pea sized amount - no improvement. So basically treating as if a vitamin deficiency. At the moment she is now getting Poultry Cell 2ml in a tiny bowl filled with water and dissolved all flock pellets - it's easier for her to eat liquids and she's been liking the mash. B Complex 2x/day, Selenium/E paste 1x/day - no real improvement. I brought her inside this weekend so she has been more alert since being inside, that's really the only improvement I've seen. VetRX on her chest to help with breathing but I don't really notice a difference.

No lice, mites I can see. No physical injury. I'm torn between thinking it's Marek's and I need to cull for her sake or it's a vitamin deficiency of some kind and it's my fault - which means I'm going to try and help her through this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Oh goodness. I’m so sorry to hear this. Yes, it’s Merek’s. Unfortunately, I only know the symptoms of the disease, so I can’t help you with treatment. Good luck.

The only way to know if it is Marek's is lab testing. There are several things that can cause lameness in chickens.

I have used the B Complex, Vitamin E, selenium therapy a couple times in 2 chickens. It can take some time for improvement if that is the problem. I would continue to treat for 2 weeks at least.

I would try to get her to eat and make sue she is hydrated. Sometimes they will eat better if they have a friend.

I have no personal experience with Marek's but have read many times that they will eat like piggies but still loose weight and waste away.

There are many kind people here that deal with Marek's in their flocks. They seem more than willing to share info. If you have any more questions, just post away!

Blessings to you and your flock! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom