Unbalanced Chicken!

tomclark1123

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
Hello,

This is my first post on this site, although I have read different articles over the year and have proved very useful!

I have 2 chickens (one black, one grey), and got both at the same time. They are about 5 years old.

Around 6 months ago a dog got into my garden and picked up the black one, but she didn't seem to be injured but her left eye was closed and she wasn't eating; I read that the eye and no eating could be due to stress and hopefully it would go away over time. Over the next couple of weeks I feed her scrambled eggs, and yoghurt with a syrynge, and after a couple of weeks her eye was open again and she was pecking and eating as normal.

Around 3 months ago I got my own dog, who is very playful, and on the odd occasion when they've been in the garden together the dog would run over to the chickens and bark a little at them, and sometimes jump over them etc but never bite or make any serious contact with them. After about a month of owning the dog I noticed that the black chicken was staying in the hen house a lot more, and now stays in there all the time. I don't let the dog out in the garden with them anymore.

I also noticed that the grey chicken had been pecking the black chicken on one side, so now I get the black one out in the morning and put her down with some food and water and leave her for an hour on her own. Then I put her back in the run and leave the grey one out in the garden.

When I leave the black one out, she doesn't really move and just stands there and wobbles about a bit, and eventually just sits down. Previously she was always the hardest one to catch, and I could rarely get close to her, but now she doesn't move at all. I've checked her over and she doesn't seem to have any injuries, and eats and drinks happily when she's next to food/water. She's even laid the odd egg. He poo seems fine (no blood).

When I put her outside she will sometimes drop her tail feathers, but normally keeps them up when sitting. When she is stood up she also sometimes drops her wings to the floor for 5-10 seconds.

I mentioned the dog previously as I didn't know if it was stress, or she was scared as I can't see anything physically wrong with her, and she seems in relatively good health, but this has been going on for a couple of months now.

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions on what to try, and what the possible problems could be??

I look forward to any advice!

Thanks
Tom

To confirm, I have been puting cider vinegar in the water which I believe is like a multi vitamin supplement?

I would give her a poultry multi vitamin as well. I cant remember the name of the one that I have. Poultry booster I think.

Back
Top Bottom