Unbelievable timing...picture warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
I could not believe my timing tonight! I have never had a coon attack or possum or anything other than hawks. But tonight I went out late around 12am (forgot to do it earlier) to lock up the ducks and I looked up in the plum tree to check on the birds that choose to roost there (note: never build your coop under a tree...duh). When I was looking up at the birds I saw two little beady eyes looking back at me. After a second I realized it was a possum and it was literally withing 2 feet of the birds roosting there. I quickly grabbed a big stick and tried to knock it out of the tree but that only forced it higher in the tree. So I went and got the .22 rifle and took aim on those beady little eyes high in the tree. Missed the first shot but the second went right through its neck.
First I couldn't believe my timing then I couldn't believe I got in on the second shot in the dark with only the glow of its eyes for a target through the branches and leaves

Good job! Back in the spring my friend who keeps some of my birds called me to report that some coons had killed a couple of our Easter Eggers. When I got there he told me how the heads had been pulled through the chain-link fencing and the heads were eaten off completely.

He was so absolutely adamant about coons being the culprit, I set out two DP (dog-proof) traps. Within 30 minutes I had two possums in the traps!

I use the same bait for possums that I use for coons, a mix of strawberry preserves with ground-up raw fish. I drop a couple of spoonfuls around the trap to give them a taste of the bait. They will not leave until they have eaten every scrap of it. To their demise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom