Unbreakable non-stop broody... how long can this go on?

Bckpkrs

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
In another thread someone mentioned that all hens eventually stop being broody- to wit, my response: "Oh yeah... When?"

Whaddya do when one of your gals turns broody, stays that way for seven weeks straight and still going, and you don't want chicks?

Flock of three. 1.5 y.o. Cuckoo (her name) Marans was broody about 4 times last year - which was our first year w/ chickens. (Yes, we're one of those, but we took to having chickens right away.)

She's put in jail, wire dog crate, elevated with her own food and water, in the shade under our redwoods. Let out at for a few hours toward sunset while we garden/relax. Often during that time, we have to lock her out of the coop once we know our other two hens won't be using the nest box.

I'm convinced the hot weather sets her off and our heat waves roll thru every 10-14 days, and she just goes toward 22 days and then the broody reset button gets set...

... and summer is just starting. 🤯😭

Any thoughts on how to help our girl

So far, the only thing I haven't done is strap an ice pack on ber breast. The one other factor is she does spend the night in the coop since we have rats, possums, cats, and racoons... none of which we want staring a chicken fight below our bedroom window.

Any thoughts on how to get this gal over her stuck-in-broody-mode or shed light on how long can a chronic case of the broody bug last?

She's one stubborn girl. I'd try the ice if nothing else works. A bag of frozen peas should work great. Some people even dip the chicken in some cool water, if it's a hot day. Being broody for that amount of time isn't good for her health, so it's very important you either break her or give her some fertile eggs/day old chicks. You said you don't want chicks, so I'd try to the ice

the only thing I haven't done is strap an ice pack on ber breast.
:gig
Don't do that, tho I understand the thought.

Wet her undercarriage in cool(not cold) water then put her in the crate.
If she's been broody for a time(22 days?) it's going to take longer than a few days.
...and it can take longer if it's hot out.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1624363275315.png

In another thread someone mentioned that all hens eventually stop being broody- to wit, my response: "Oh yeah... When?"

Whaddya do when one of your gals turns broody, stays that way for seven weeks straight and still going, and you don't want chicks?

Flock of three. 1.5 y.o. Cuckoo (her name) Marans was broody about 4 times last year - which was our first year w/ chickens. (Yes, we're one of those, but we took to having chickens right away.)

She's put in jail, wire dog crate, elevated with her own food and water, in the shade under our redwoods. Let out at for a few hours toward sunset while we garden/relax. Often during that time, we have to lock her out of the coop once we know our other two hens won't be using the nest box.

I'm convinced the hot weather sets her off and our heat waves roll thru every 10-14 days, and she just goes toward 22 days and then the broody reset button gets set...

... and summer is just starting. 🤯😭

Any thoughts on how to help our girl

So far, the only thing I haven't done is strap an ice pack on ber breast. The one other factor is she does spend the night in the coop since we have rats, possums, cats, and racoons... none of which we want staring a chicken fight below our bedroom window.

Any thoughts on how to get this gal over her stuck-in-broody-mode or shed light on how long can a chronic case of the broody bug last?
I have one silkie hen who is a constant broody. Even in the dead of winter... this gal would rather raise chicks. 🙄 She hatch out 3 in the middle of January this year. They all hatched in 10°F and below weather, and survived too. But she is a hard one to break. I usually can get her to break and go back to laying. But she will only proceed to lay maybe 4 eggs and then go broody again. It's a vicious cycle for me. Usually she goes broody, then next thing ya know... the rest of the girls in the silkie flock hop on the broody train... Choo choo....
Here is the locomotive driver herself, Big Momma....doing what she does best!

Attachments

• 20210719_073928.jpg
    20210719_073928.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom