Uncomfortable chicken

How old is she? Did the vet ask about withdrawing some of the fluid in her belly or to check for that? Hens can get ascites from heart problems or reproductive infections, and you can insert a needle into the lower abdomen to take off some of the fluid. Sometimes that relieves pressure or pain. She might have cancer as well. Let us know how she gets along, and glad you could see the vet.

She is roughly 2 years old now. The vet did use a needle and withdrew some yellow fluid from her, then she was 'dripping' a while afterwards. She's very bloated again so I wish I could remove some more fluid for her. He said he could not see any WBC which is a bad sign as if there was an infection they would be present. But I can see she is so uncomfortable, I am constantly having to give her food and water as she can't really do even that by herself now. She started on the antibiotics yesterday so if it's going to help I should be able to see some change in her by tomorrow

You can also try to remove fluid at home if you can get a 14 or 16 gauge needle, but it is a temporary relief. She may get better, but with ascites, she may not. I usually make sure they are eating, but once they stop eating, they may be suffering. Then I have to make the decision to end the suffering for them. I am glad that you saw the vet and now have her on antibiotics, and hopefully, there will be some improvement. What antibiotic did they prescribe? A tsp of plain Greek yogurt, such as Chobani, might help with probiotics during and after the medication.

You can also try to remove fluid at home if you can get a 14 or 16 gauge needle, but it is a temporary relief. She may get better, but with ascites, she may not. I usually make sure they are eating, but once they stop eating, they may be suffering. Then I have to make the decision to end the suffering for them. I am glad that you saw the vet and now have her on antibiotics, and hopefully, there will be some improvement. What antibiotic did they prescribe? A tsp of plain Greek yogurt, such as Chobani, might help with probiotics during and after the medication.
Thank you for helping me, just talking to you makes me feel better and realise I am not the only one who has had to deal with it with one of my babies. He didn't show me exactly where to drain the fluid from so not too confident doing it or I would! She is eating and drinking plentiful as long as I'm hand feeding it to her and she is getting very spoilt meals as i am giving her a variety to keep her strength up, including small amounts of plain yoghurt. The Clabuvactin is the antibiotic, and also some Metacam for pain relief. She seems a tiny bit more energetic this morning (she had got herself out of bed and was slowly walking around) which is good but when she is resting I can see her breathing is very heavy. She is fighting it as hard as she can :fl

Back
Top Bottom