Undecided Broody?

Giddyup

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC
Our australorp girl can't decide. Just wondering how it might end up.

The nest is up to 18 chicken/duck combo. She will sit for a day and night, then next day may be off half the day, sit at night, then off again. Night is easy because if I pull her off the roost and show her the eggs she'll sit on her own. Obviously I wouldn't try to force it.

Eggs were hot this morning. Candled 2 last night out of curiosity (she was off). One was clear but there are a few embryos in 2 or 3 eggs for sure. Would hate to lose them, but letting nature decide this one.

Can hens still hatch them out with so much time off the nest?

Last year she stuck it out well, but other aggressive hens eventually broke all eggs. (they're gone)

If she off the nest for hours at a time I would think they may not hatch. I always seperate my broody from the rest of the flock to stop others from putting eggs under and to stop them destroying the eggs.

I figured 20 min/30 min at a time but ya, hours? likely not. Well she's back on today, lol

We only have her, an isa brown and the roo now. 6 pullets still in the intermediate stall. I'll have to separate chickens from ducks shortly though for our duck hatch.

Back
Top Bottom