1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Under 1 year old and molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    One of my pullets who was born in February seems to be going through a small molt. Her neck feathers are falling out, her tail feathers and she is flaking skin. She does appear to have mites or anything, just molting like my older chickens. What gives? I thought they weren't supposed to do that until over a year old.

Gah, I hope they all get back on track. Only one out of 9 of my chickens is laying! I know there's been less light but it's been warm!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Flaking skin? Hmmm. What you might be noticing are the papery sheaths covering the feather quills (the new feathers coming in). If it's actually the skin flaking, though, that would be a sign of something other than molting going on.

All of our chickens have done mini molts in the fall of their first year, and they all hatched out in spring (May).

3. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    It's not on the actual skin but it looks like dandruff haha.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A partial molt around 9 months is quite common.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Before coming into lay, an adolescent hen will go through 3 partial and one full molt.

6. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    My chicks seem to always be molting. Their feathers are always being replaced by the next stage feathers as the chicks grow. Those new blood feathers can be flaky from what I've seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by