Under Weight Pullet?

tinkerbell265

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Gosh I'm so new to this whole chicken thing! I have a Black Australorp and a Barred Rock... I picked up my Barred and she just seemed kinda thin. I only really noticed it this week. Should i be concerned? They are both only around 13 weeks and i've heard the weight changes when they hit a grow spurt. The other one seems to be ok though. The Barred just seems to have her breast bone sticking way out and its really sharp. I think that's odd since they eat all day.

Any thoughts? Should i try and fatten her up? Or just wait and see what happens?

She's not lethargic or anemic in anyway and seems to be having a great time in my yard so i doubt she's sick. But again, i'm new, so i wouldn't know.

Thanks!

foreverlearning

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
That is pretty far to have a breast bone sticking out. I would use poultry dust on the birds and coop just to make sure it isn't lice or mites. You can pick up a shaking container of it at any TSC for under $7. Repeat treatment in 7-10 days to get any eggs that hatched. Keep an eye on them and look them over everyday to see if something else pops up.

RonC

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
D/FW
Some of mine are fatter than other but I can feel their breast bone when I hold any of them. Some more than others.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
You're supposed to be able to feel that keel bone in chickens. The grocery store Cornish cross are way different than a dual purpose bird but we have that picture in our heads they're normal. If your birds are active and bright, you're good.

Top Bottom