Underground Coops

If it can be done with human abodes, I'm sure it can be done with chicken coops. You would need to provide very good ventilation and air exchange, which I am sure you've already planned for.

The main problem I see is moisture. Chickens are high volume moisture producers and underground homes can be a bit overly humid from the start - at least it was going by my two years living in the basement while I built the house upstairs - but with attention to the issue I think you could make it work.

It seems like a cool idea but I can't see the advantages of it. If it rains a lot will it collect water? Chickens are birds and generally like being up high so I'm not sure how well they'd take to going underground. Plus chickens are prone to respiratory illnesses, would it be damp and musty? Just my opinion, seems like a lot of work for something that may or maynot be a good idea.

i see it as a type of rootcellar design. i can see how it could work, but as above, the biggest problem would be ventilation. but if you had a vent pipe and maybe a halfscreen door, it could work. i could never do one here, our water table is only a couple feet down.

Would this be the only place your chickens lived? In other words would they have a run outside? if not I would say no.

If you do plan on a run I would say go for it. The deal is, is this your cellar? You definitely need to do it as if it were a cellar complete with walls that dont touch dirt and have moisture barrier between. Make sure you provide a place for ANY accumulated water to drain out. Ventilation will be more important here not only for fresh air but for venting out humidity. Animals of any kind even if they don't sweat generate moisture just by breathing... never mind the Poo. I think someone here shared a link to a coop that was done half in the ground.... I really like that design. It had one wall that was at grade I really liked that one. That one is open enough that I think any moisture would not be a problem.

deb

Is this a Good Idea?

My Family Has It all planned out, but is it healthy?

We Have Nesting,Roosting, And Maintaining Planed, But is it healthy

I can almost see it now. Build it underground and then build an extended, sunken run area with a clear roof to let the light in. You could totally add ventilation in a system like that. Just make sure it can drain well, lol.

I can almost see it now. Build it underground and then build an extended, sunken run area with a clear roof to let the light in. You could totally add ventilation in a system like that. Just make sure it can drain well, lol.

Yeah, Id Make one like this. for the same reasons and all.

( And They Can Tell Their chicken friends " I Live under a rock "
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom