understanding roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I have just one rooster right now while we are finishing the chicken coop construction. we will
    be getting hens once we get the pen completed. When I walk back to the backyard where the
    chicken coops are his wings are slightly raised from his body. not spread out but still tucked.
    Is this chicken body language that i need to pay attention to or is he just hot and lifting his
    wings away from his body to allow air under his wings. We live in Tennessee, it is 80-90's
    and humid. We are new to the chicken hobby and are trying to learn some of the basics about
    chickens.

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    It sounds like he's hot. Mine do that all the time (the hens too). Be sure he has some shade and cool sand to scratch down in and cool off.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, he's just hot--they cool themselves by lifting the wings like that. It lets the air get underheath. My hens do that too when it gets up into the 80s and very humid. I sometimes mist them with water and they just love it!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:X2

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The other poster are right, IMO. He's just cooling. You can tell a nervous rooster. He's flapping his wings, once or twice, real hard. Hard enough to hear the snap when they hit his body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by