Underweight chicken

Ilona4

Hatching
Feb 5, 2021
So I have 3 Finnish landrace chickens. They had to be taken inside, because it's very cold at the moment. I noticed that one of them is very thin. She is also loosing feathers, but I think this might be due to her being broody. She has always been on the thinner side, but has now lost even more waight. What should I feed her? I now feed her separately, so I can keep an eye on her food intake, but it doesn't seem to be working. She's acting normally otherwise.

There’s no reason to bring chickens in when it’s cold unless they are super young or have giant patches of missing feathers. The chicken WAS broody or IS broody currently? Chickens molt after hatching chicks, not during since they need the feathers to keep the clutch warm.

The chicken WAS broody or IS broody currently? Chickens molt after hatching chicks, not during since they need the feathers to keep the clutch warm.

x2. If she's currently broody (or just broke from it) she may be/may have been prioritizing sitting over taking care of herself, which isn't unheard of. If she is currently broody I highly suggest you break her, because she isn't eating well.

Also with the missing feathers, are they kind of all over, or on her belly only? If they're missing from her belly it's because she plucked them herself, in order to better brood eggs.

Back
Top Bottom