Underweight parrakeet/budgie

DotandDave

Chirping
Feb 8, 2018
Hi I have a newly adopted rescue budgie. Overbite and underweight. It was in the pet shop and I just had to get it out of there, poor wee soul.

Avian vet yesterday trimmed his long beak. No mites. Going back for blood tests next week so see if cause for beak deformity.

Vet said he’ll always have deformed beak which will need trimming regularly. Absolutely fine.

Took 24hrs before he started eating seed for me. Seed is what he’s been having at the pet shop. I have also offered fresh grated fruit/vegs, crumble, grass and fresh millet. Not touching anything but seed atm.

He’s pretty freaked out - still can’t really put my hand in the cage without it shaking or flapping. I try not to disturb him too much at this stage. It’s only been 2 days. I have other birds here, but he’s quarantined here for 4 weeks. I wish I could put him with my other birds to help him settle in.

He’s pretty thin and I’m guessing malnourished. Is there anything I can give him to help his nutrition if he won’t eat fresh atm?

Pic is after vet trimmed his beak. I just feel so sorry for him. He’s so freaked out. I just want to help him feel better and give him the life he deserves.

Any advice would be most helpful. He’s pooping well now, eating seed fine and drinking. Alert but very on edge and too thin.

Attachments

• B80F0C13-0954-49CB-B97F-967723AB76EB.jpeg
    B80F0C13-0954-49CB-B97F-967723AB76EB.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 13
Hopefully not that he can eat he will regain weight. As you well know it will take time for him to get over the beak trimming and move to a new home. You are doing a good thing for him.

Hopefully not that he can eat he will regain weight. As you well know it will take time for him to get over the beak trimming and move to a new home. You are doing a good thing for him.

Thanks Sourland. I’m keeping my distance for now not to stress him out even more. At least he’s eating something now. Vet was worried but I knew he’d perk up a bit with beak trim and vet gave him crop feed.

Early days...I really love him

Awesome thx I have millet. I’m offering everything I can think of. He’ll have a great life here

Back
Top Bottom