Undesirable gene making eggs taste bad?

howdyitsmia

Songster
May 23, 2020
Utah, United States
I’ve been trying to figure out why my Buff Orpington pullet has been laying such gross eggs. She just started laying about a week ago.
I read something about how some chickens can’t process trimethylamine well, and that makes their eggs taste weird.
Does this problem only make eggs taste fishy? Because hers taste fine while you eat them, and then have a very strong, lingering aftertaste of chemicals or chlorine or something.
Also, is there a way for her to get tested for the gene that causes this?

What are you feeding them?
Nutrena All Flock, 20% protein. I’ve heard that canola can cause problems so I contacted them and they said there wasn’t any in their feed.

I also give her mealworms and black oil sunflower seeds as treats, though I stopped giving her the sunflower seeds just to see if that was the cause.

I’ve never heard of that. I think I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Just in case. My girls haven’t started laying yet, but are due to start any day.

By chance do you have alot of stink bugs around? When we have a swarm of them move through, they make my eggs taste chemical tasting. But only when they are everywhere. I think they are nasty. My chickens love them 🤮
We have a lot of box elder bugs come through in the fall. Maybe that could be it

We have a lot of box elder bugs come through in the fall. Maybe that could be it
Hi there. :frow

I'm not sure why start another thread when there was excellent response on the other one.. but, I guess I'm replying now. :confused:

Anyways.. cut out the meal worms and any extra treats. Orpington are a breed known to be prone to fatty live hemorrhagic syndrome.. Possibly a genetic issue.. usually also coupled with excess treats... sometimes results in sudden death.. often blamed on heart attack without necropsy.

One of my husbands coworkers reported nasty taste with excess meal worms given. Although I give meal worms on occasion, I'm a tightwad with treats and use something like moist chicken feed for enrichment instead. So I have never YET experienced any after taste or anything to that effect.

Since the liver and kidney filter out all the yuck.. *maybe* your taste sensitivity is a precursory clue to genetic conditions??

The hen and her eggs both look gorgeous, as seen on the other thread. (thanks Aart)! :)

Hope this resolves and your other layers come on line soon! :fl

Hi there. :frow

I'm not sure why start another thread when there was excellent response on the other one.. but, I guess I'm replying now. :confused:

Anyways.. cut out the meal worms and any extra treats. Orpington are a breed known to be prone to fatty live hemorrhagic syndrome.. Possibly a genetic issue.. usually also coupled with excess treats... sometimes results in sudden death.. often blamed on heart attack without necropsy.

One of my husbands coworkers reported nasty taste with excess meal worms given. Although I give meal worms on occasion, I'm a tightwad with treats and use something like moist chicken feed for enrichment instead. So I have never YET experienced any after taste or anything to that effect.

Since the liver and kidney filter out all the yuck.. *maybe* your taste sensitivity is a precursory clue to genetic conditions??

The hen and her eggs both look gorgeous, as seen on the other thread. (thanks Aart)! :)

Hope this resolves and your other layers come on line soon! :fl
Thank you so much! I started another thread to ask about the trimethylamine specifically though I guess I should’ve just put it on the other one. I had no idea about the mealworms! That’s good to know! And, my brother and mom tried the eggs and thought they were weird too, so I don’t think it’s sensitivity on my end. Again, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom