Undigested food in droppings, update on page 3

I looked at the first video of Coho--She is really pretty!

I've had birds die of of an internal fungal infection, and since have created a web page about treatments. If it might be of help, it's on my PoultryPedia.com website.

I've also had birds with Lymphoid Leukosis. Coho's symptoms & watching her behavior make me wonder if that's possibly what she might have instead??? If you want to look some up, there is info on that at:
http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1407
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disviral.htm#ll
http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/Avian-Lymphoid-Leukosis.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

How is Coho doing now??

Coho is doing great! She is totally back to normal now and blusters around like a springy young hen. The medication really helped, and then feeding kefir grains afterward to repopulate her good bacterial flora brought her back to 100%.

Yay!!!
wee.gif
So glad your sweet hen rebounded so well! You were really good to her, giving her so much careful care.

My chickens were attacked the other day. The RIR was killed and the leghorn's (Ms. Foggy) comb was mildly injured which I treated. Ms. Foggy was in shock but I took care if her and she got better. I noticed yesterday that she wasn't acting well, she was acting lethargic, drinking lots of water, not eating and having loss stool that had a dark green center. She not better today and I've done some research. It sounds like clostridium prefringen. I have penicillin g that I can give her. Is this ok and what diet should she eat?

I recommend starting a new thread in this same "Emergencies" section of the forum. Give it a good, descriptive title & it will probably help draw in replies from people with knowledge on similar symptoms
I hope you get some good input.

What did the vet prescribe her? I have a similar situation happening with my chicken and I have an appointment in a few hours.

Hi @Nambroth! (Chicken newbie & BYC first time posting) Not to resurrect an old thread, but your chicken CoHo sounds like the same exact symptoms my little Loretta has right now. She's a 5 mo Barred Rock, never really one to thrive, but she is especially underweight and lethargic now as well as the green undigested poops. She is eating (if I give her a mash) and drinking vitamin/electrolyte water.

What medicine did you treat Coho with??? Thank you!

I have a very sweet salmon faverolles pullet that I am worried about. Maybe about a week ago I noticed that her droppings were becoming very wet, and last night when I went to check on her she seems to have lost weight and is skinny in the keel bone. Maybe you have suggestions for me...

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Salmon Faverolles pullet, 8 months old, feels thin (weighs in at 3lb 5oz)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. This is complicated because she is lowest on the pecking order, but she hangs by herself, sometimes for hours, sulking under the coop.. the other chickens push her around a lot. Otherwise she eats moderately well, and keeps some food in her crop though she doesn't eat vigorously like the other chickens. When I brought her inside to see if it was a bullying issue she still isn't eating a whole lot. She seems to be drinking a lot more than usual. Otherwise perky and happy indoors. Her droppings are loose, very watery, with some green solids mixed in and sometimes a bit of undigested grain. She has access to granite grit and outdoor gravel. Grit is offered at all times. She seems underweight to me, especially feeling her keel.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Approximately one week.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown. No changes in food, care, no new stress, etc.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes. Eating small to moderate amounts, drinking a lot.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very watery with green solids, sometimes undigested grains.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated from other chickens to see if she is stressed out / bullied by them. Offering kefir as a probiotic. Continuing to offer crushed granite grit.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would prefer to treat her myself, but am willing to see a vet if it is vital.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Medium sized coop with pine flake bedding, large fully enclosed run with gravel. Right now temperatures are in the 20-30°F range.

What should I do? I have her indoors for now because it seemed like she was burning calories fighting the cold faster than she could replace them. She's perky and exploring the house right now (which is exciting, considering her watery poo!) and eating off and on. Could worms cause the loose droppings? She is drinking often, but I know she's not been too warm because she's been outside up until now.

Hi there!

My chicken has been having these clear watery stools as well! Does anyone have a follow up to what happened to their chicken? Did it clear on its own when the weather was cooler? My vet says that this extremely clear watery stool cannot be caused by simply drinking too much water but I think it might be clostridium perfringens.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi there!

My chicken has been having these clear watery stools as well! Does anyone have a follow up to what happened to their chicken? Did it clear on its own when the weather was cooler? My vet says that this extremely clear watery stool cannot be caused by simply drinking too much water but I think it might be clostridium perfringens.

Thanks in advance! :)

I seen somewhat loose stools in hot weather when my hens drink more than normal. I think, in my experience (and many others here on the forum) that watery but otherwise normal droppings during hot weather/heavy water intake, are okay.

If you see undigested food, or blood, or anything other than normal fecal matter, then there probably is something else going on. Usually, but not always, you will see undigested food material in the stool with clostridium. It depends on what feed you are using also-- if you are feeding pure pellets, it might be much harder to tell. Adding a bit of scratch or other hard grain/seed will help you diagnose if food is passing undigested.

If loose stools continue after the hot weather passes and/or when the chickens drink less, then there probably is something else going on.

Hi @Nambroth! (Chicken newbie & BYC first time posting) Not to resurrect an old thread, but your chicken CoHo sounds like the same exact symptoms my little Loretta has right now. She's a 5 mo Barred Rock, never really one to thrive, but she is especially underweight and lethargic now as well as the green undigested poops. She is eating (if I give her a mash) and drinking vitamin/electrolyte water.

What medicine did you treat Coho with??? Thank you!

Sorry, I just saw this. I know this is now an old post, but as mentioned in my prior post, we treated with metronidazole (flagyl) tablets and then probiotics once the medication was done. The probiotics helped a lot.

Back
Top Bottom