Uneven number of guineas?

Guineas are not for everyone. People tend to love or hate them. Some of us love and enjoy our guineas.
I would love them if they didn’t try to kill my chickens. Can’t even free range chickens anymore. Pretty sad. Otherwise, I like what the guineas do.

I would love them if they didn’t try to kill my chickens. Can’t even free range chickens anymore. Pretty sad. Otherwise, I like what the guineas do.
If you brood and house them separately, they will leave your chickens alone. I can allow my guineas, chickens and turkeys to free range in the same area at the same time and each group will keep to themselves.

Guinea keets brooded with chicks and raised with chickens will imprint and lose the ability to understand that the chickens are not guineas. Guineas that are not imprinted can understand that chickens are not guineas and will leave them alone.

If you brood and house them separately, they will leave your chickens alone. I can allow my guineas, chickens and turkeys to free range in the same area at the same time and each group will keep to themselves.

Guinea keets brooded with chicks and raised with chickens will imprint and lose the ability to understand that the chickens are not guineas. Guineas that are not imprinted can understand that chickens are not guineas and will leave them alone.
Lol that makes no sense to “brood and house them separately” so they leave them alone. They WERE brooded separately and ARE housed separately (well, the guineas are free range). The guineas even go as far as to fight chickens through the wire. I think it all depends on the attitude of the flock.

I’m not saying you’re wrong btw. The post I made kinda sounded a bit cross. :th Your method may work perfectly fine for you and that’s awesome! I wish it worked for me :lol:

I’m not saying you’re wrong btw. The post I made kinda sounded a bit cross. :th Your method may work perfectly fine for you and that’s awesome! I wish it worked for me :lol:
I brood my guinea keets only with other guinea keets. My guineas are housed in a separate coop of their own.

My guineas are also a large enough flock (14) that they can have proper flock dynamics. The free range are where they can and have been in at the same time as the chickens and turkeys is a 2 acre fenced area.

My guineas do not attack any of my other poultry. The guineas that I had that were brooded with chicks and raised and housed with chickens did attack the chickens. No roosters had any tail feathers.

If you try to keep guineas in as small an area as you can get away with for chickens, you will have problems. If you don't keep enough guineas for them to have proper flock dynamics, you may have problems.

I have almost 30 guineas. They free range on all of our acreage. They weren’t brooded with any of my chickens. They’ll even attack the ducks sometimes, but mostly give the chickens HECK!

We have 22 Guineas! I still haven’t updated it but here’s a chart of the flock. 5/7 of Welch’s babies were boys, so I now have 9 cocks and 13 hens. There seemed to be a fair amount of mate swapping going on last summer...View attachment 2454024
22...yeah, see, as much as I wld love them, you'd be calling me the Guinea Lune instead of whisperer. Lol. I trimmed everyone's nails today. The 4 patiently waited, wrapped in their towel, watching everything I did & quietly commenting every once in awhile. When I finished, they'd stand on my leg taking in their surroundings before hopping down.
"The Twins" screamed their bloody heads off like there was a fire, bit the towel, glared, and then flopped out of my arms when I finished. The grays were also squittish when they were "little", but not this much.
I did hold Mouse long enough to get a good look at her up close. Her neck ruffles are brown rather than the purple/gray. When it's bright out, her body looks more brown, but when overcast, it looks more gray. Regardless of the lighting, I think her screech cld break glass!

Back
Top Bottom