unexpected and totally unexplained deaths?

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
Over a week I've lost starting with the smallest pullet and going up the chain getting a bigger one each time. One day ill go out and the bird I know is going to die has ratty unkept feathers and will look like there wasting away. Then the next day ill find them dead on the coop floor. Nothing is getting in the coop im sure of and its locked tight. What is killing them? Its got a duck and five hens so far im thinking a disease bit I bleached the coop? Idk what to do.

Im not sure, idk how'd they would get it, they've been together since day one. Im just baffled, I feed them and give them water when I can but its hard being single. I give the eater like twice a day and usually free range them. Should I bleach out my coop again?

Huh? What does this mean… give the eater like twice a day

They can get parasites from wild animals and birds, check under their wings and by their vent for creepy crawlies. Don't think bleaching the coop will help until you know for sure what is going on.

I take care of my hens by myself too, as I'm fairly sure most of us do. Yea, it is hard sometimes to care for them in a way you feel is best, but providing fresh feed and water is a fairly easy thing to accomplish.

Quote:

It doesn't matter that they have been together from day one, lice, mites, and worms can get to them anytime, anywhere. My flock is a closed flock, but I have still had to deal with lice and worms, they are in the environment.

I am also curious what you mean by "give the eater twice a day."
hmm.png

You say "ill one day" -- what are the symptoms? Ill how, sick in what way? In what way are they ill for that one day? What are they looking and acting like that one day when they are ill, before you find them dead.
There are "gallon" waterers.. I have four of them for 20 chickens... and three food "trays". Chickens should never be without fresh water. I leave food out all the time, as well as letting them free range. (Laying pellets for full grown -- "chick starter mash" for chicks until they are about four months old... others may have another opinion.)

How many chickens do you have? Are they in a coop? Do they have a run? What type of floor and bedding do you have in the coop and nesting boxes? If they free range part of the time, or most of the time, are there any plants, chemicals, or anything they can get into and eat that could poison them?

From the smallest pullet? How old was the smallest pullet? How old is the oldest one you have and how old is the oldest one you have lost? If you have "chicks", young pullets or young chickens, when and where did you get them and how long have you had them? Are they all the same age? How many of what age, etc.?

Need more information. It is costly (expensive) and time consuming (takes time each day) to properly care for chickens to keep them healthy and happy and alive.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT BLEACH CAN KILL CHICKENS... If you used straight bleach or a very strong bleach mixture, it is possible that that is why they died. It is my understanding that those who use bleach to clean use a small amount of bleach diluted in a lot of water. Did you start "bleaching" before the chickens started dying? Or after? Coop, nesting boxes, and roosts need to be cleaned, sweep up, change "bedding" ( hay, alfafa hay, pine shavings... never cedar )... if the floor is dirt, sand on the floor... a little Seven Dust on the floor raked in... a little Seven Dust sprinkled into the nesting boxes after they are cleaned, hay changed... cleaned off (wire brush) roosts... cleaned with mild, very diluted bleach water or "green" (organic) or poultry safe disinfecting cleaner... let dry completely BEFORE chickens get back onto roosts...

Is their coop clean, dry, well ventilated... cleaned regularly? Fresh water, food, and a clean coop are the keys to healthy chickens as well as a worming schedule from about 7 months old on. Also oyster shell calcium/grit, and a good food. Keep the coop from getting too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

I am very sorry you are losing chickens, that is hard... but, please provide much more information... for accurate advice and help here. Also, you can use the SEARCH here on BYC -- search "disinfecting the coop", search whatever symptoms your chickens had before they died. Search "sudden death". Search the dangers of bleach.

I hope you find the answer. I have one hen that is having similar problems. I will check her again when the sun comes up, but her feathers have been looking unkept for a few days now. She is starting to look thinner too (maybe because of the feather issue). She seems to be acting fine and she is eating. I'm not sure if she is laying any eggs though, but I dont think she is egg bound. I am new at this chicken thing so any suggestions would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom