Unexpected baby bunnies!! Please help!

Yeah šŸ˜‚ for sure wouldnā€™t wanna make that mistake again! Thanks for the help. I will check lots and seperated them at two months. Should I start checking their Gender? Iā€™m not sure how as they are so squirmy, lol, but when is a age when you can make a pretty good guess?
They are around the age when I would start checking gender. Some people can tell earlier, some later, but 3 weeks was a good time for me to start checking.

They definitely become more obvious when they are fully mature, but of course you don't want to wait that long!

I noticed something strange on my doe a couple days ago, but today I looked at it closely today and Iā€™m not sure what to think. Itā€™s like the fur is crusty and parted and the skin under us red/pink. Is this some sort of Infection or just a mat?

4F55852C-824F-4E98-B79B-9EEC24A54960.jpeg
AF2EF50D-C323-4B18-8572-398EED83C115.jpeg

A316594B-FF7A-4B78-B9FF-672288653E45.jpeg

E6590541-8F67-4562-AE4C-D8C5603F9CCC.jpeg

I noticed something strange on my doe a couple days ago, but today I looked at it closely today and Iā€™m not sure what to think. Itā€™s like the fur is crusty and parted and the skin under us red/pink. Is this some sort of Infection or just a mat?

I don't know for sure.

Fur like that is common if a rabbit has a runny nose, drooling mouth, or drippy eye. Any of those can indicate sickness, but I don't know details. If the rabbit has any of those, it can also have gunky fur on the paws, from wiping its nose/mouth/eyes.

For where the fur is in the picture, I don't think it's the eye or the nose, and I can't tell for sure about the mouth.

Given the pink spot, she might have a minor injury, maybe something like a bug bite or bee sting. If she's been rubbing at it, that could explain what's going on with the fur.

You say it first showed up a few days ago. Do you think it has been getting better or worse? If it's getting better, you might just keep an eye on it. If it's getting worse, she might need to see a vet. (Nursing a litter, and maybe pregnant again, could complicate any kind of treatment.)

I would probably give her a thorough going-over to see if there are any other symptoms and watch how she acts. If you don't find anything else wrong, and if it does not seem to be getting worse, I would just keep watching for now.

(I didn't respond sooner because I was hoping someone else would know enough to be more helpful.)

I don't know for sure.

Fur like that is common if a rabbit has a runny nose, drooling mouth, or drippy eye. Any of those can indicate sickness, but I don't know details. If the rabbit has any of those, it can also have gunky fur on the paws, from wiping its nose/mouth/eyes.

For where the fur is in the picture, I don't think it's the eye or the nose, and I can't tell for sure about the mouth.

Given the pink spot, she might have a minor injury, maybe something like a bug bite or bee sting. If she's been rubbing at it, that could explain what's going on with the fur.

You say it first showed up a few days ago. Do you think it has been getting better or worse? If it's getting better, you might just keep an eye on it. If it's getting worse, she might need to see a vet. (Nursing a litter, and maybe pregnant again, could complicate any kind of treatment.)

I would probably give her a thorough going-over to see if there are any other symptoms and watch how she acts. If you don't find anything else wrong, and if it does not seem to be getting worse, I would just keep watching for now.

(I didn't respond sooner because I was hoping someone else would know enough to be more helpful.)
I was doing the same. Iā€™m sorry - I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong with her. Keep us updated though!

Thank you everyone for your help on that matter! Kadie is doing much better.

Now I have another problem. On about four if the babies, they have what looks like pasty butt, but for a rabbit. It was extra cold last night which I feel like
Caused it.

I am assuming I need to clean it, but it is pretty crusty and knitted. Should I soak them? Or is that too much of a risk? Plz help! I know how bad this is for bunnies cause their digestive track is always moving. Thanks everyone!

@NatJ @LizzzyJo @Barred Rock Mama

Thank you everyone for your help on that matter! Kadie is doing much better.

Now I have another problem. On about four if the babies, they have what looks like pasty butt, but for a rabbit. It was extra cold last night which I feel like
Caused it.

I am assuming I need to clean it, but it is pretty crusty and knitted. Should I soak them? Or is that too much of a risk? Plz help! I know how bad this is for bunnies cause their digestive track is always moving. Thanks everyone!

@NatJ @LizzzyJo @Barred Rock Mama
Yes, clean it.
Yes, that might involved soaking, and then making sure they get dry, without getting them too cold or too hot in the process.

There are several possible causes, but the main "treatment" is to just clean it up and watch to see if it stays gone.

Possible causes include stress (from heat or cold or anything else), or changes of food (especially fresh green plants), or various other things.

Back
Top Bottom