Unexpected baby bunnies!! Please help!

Hello all! I’m so sorry for all of my questions 🤦🏻‍♀️ as you can tell I don’t know what I’m doing. I want to thank you all SO much for all the help you guys have given me! You all have been lifesavers (quite literally I’m sure!) and so kind and generous and patient , even with all of my stupid obvious questions, lol. So, thank you all so much! I have no words!

I do have one more question, mama is laying down a ton, and doesn’t have energy like she used to. She pretty much just eats and lays down. Is this normal because she is nursing? I don’t think is pregnant again, she would be due on Friday, and I felt her stomach and felt nothing. I figured it would feel pretty obvious by now. But is it a concern how much she is laying down and how little energy she has?

Hello all! I’m so sorry for all of my questions 🤦🏻‍♀️ as you can tell I don’t know what I’m doing. I want to thank you all SO much for all the help you guys have given me! You all have been lifesavers (quite literally I’m sure!) and so kind and generous and patient , even with all of my stupid obvious questions, lol. So, thank you all so much! I have no words!

I do have one more question, mama is laying down a ton, and doesn’t have energy like she used to. She pretty much just eats and lays down. Is this normal because she is nursing? I don’t think is pregnant again, she would be due on Friday, and I felt her stomach and felt nothing. I figured it would feel pretty obvious by now. But is it a concern how much she is laying down and how little energy she has?
No worries. She’s just a parent 🤣 You’re doing a great job - no need to worry so much - and shouldn’t you be in school instead of stressing about your tired momma rabbit on a Thursday morning? Lol

No worries. She’s just a parent 🤣 You’re doing a great job - no need to worry so much - and shouldn’t you be in school instead of stressing about your tired momma rabbit on a Thursday morning? Lol
Lol, homeschool 😉😅 ok, I won’t worry so much. Thanks again!

I do have one more question, mama is laying down a ton, and doesn’t have energy like she used to. She pretty much just eats and lays down. Is this normal because she is nursing?
It could be normal. Just make sure she has plenty of food & water.

Does often like to lay on a raised spot, where the bunnies cannot reach them. Many styles of nestboxes are made with a flat top for this purpose. But it won't really hurt her to lay where the bunnies can reach her.

I don’t think is pregnant again, she would be due on Friday
The first post in this thread is dated 1/6/2023.
If the bunnies were born that day, and the doe was rebred immediately, she would be due next Monday 2/6/2023, because a rabbit pregnancy is usually 31 days.

It is common to make sure a nestbox is available on day 28 (this Friday), so the doe has time to get familiar with it and build a nest if she wants to, before the bunnies actually arrive. That also makes sure the nestbox is present if she delivers a day or so early.

and I felt her stomach and felt nothing. I figured it would feel pretty obvious by now.
Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes not.

I would provide a nestbox just in case (or at least take the old bedding out of the current nestbox, and put in fresh bedding.) I would also have a cage ready so you can move the current bunnies out if she has another litter. But if she does not give birth again, leave the current litter with her until they are 8 weeks old.

It could be normal. Just make sure she has plenty of food & water.

Does often like to lay on a raised spot, where the bunnies cannot reach them. Many styles of nestboxes are made with a flat top for this purpose. But it won't really hurt her to lay where the bunnies can reach her.

The first post in this thread is dated 1/6/2023.
If the bunnies were born that day, and the doe was rebred immediately, she would be due next Monday 2/6/2023, because a rabbit pregnancy is usually 31 days.

It is common to make sure a nestbox is available on day 28 (this Friday), so the doe has time to get familiar with it and build a nest if she wants to, before the bunnies actually arrive. That also makes sure the nestbox is present if she delivers a day or so early.

Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes not.

I would provide a nestbox just in case (or at least take the old bedding out of the current nestbox, and put in fresh bedding.) I would also have a cage ready so you can move the current bunnies out if she has another litter. But if she does not give birth again, leave the current litter with her until they are 8 weeks old.
Very sorry for the delay! You are right, I must of had my days wrong. 🤦🏻‍♀️😅 but she didn’t have any babies on Monday so I am thinking we are clear?

Very sorry for the delay! You are right, I must of had my days wrong. 🤦🏻‍♀️😅 but she didn’t have any babies on Monday so I am thinking we are clear?
Since she would have been due on Monday 2/6, and it's now Thursday 2/9, I think you are probably clear. Keep an eye out for a few more days just in case, because does can occasionally give birth late, but I don't really expect that to happen.

That definitely simplifies things, because you won't have to wean the first ones early, and you won't have to wait for a second batch to grow before having the doe spayed.

Since she would have been due on Monday 2/6, and it's now Thursday 2/9, I think you are probably clear. Keep an eye out for a few more days just in case, because does can occasionally give birth late, but I don't really expect that to happen.

That definitely simplifies things, because you won't have to wean the first ones early, and you won't have to wait for a second batch to grow before having the doe spayed.
Awesome, thank you! I will still keep my eyes out, but I am relieved to hear that you think we are clear!

Back
Top Bottom