Unexpected Chicken Farmer - Any Advice

Thanks everyone.

Today the feed came, she loves it! A bit windy and some snow coming down so I think I'll keep her in for most of the day. I hope the coop comes soon too, I don't want her getting used to the garage.

What about insolation for the coop? The only thing near to me is PetSmart which obviously is not a good place to shop for chicken supplies. I saw that they have stuff for rabbits like bedding and other stuff like wood shavings, pet bedding etc. I'm assuming straw is best? If anybody can suggest a supply store in SE Michigan that would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

Today the feed came, she loves it! A bit windy and some snow coming down so I think I'll keep her in for most of the day. I hope the coop comes soon too, I don't want her getting used to the garage.

What about insolation for the coop? The only thing near to me is PetSmart which obviously is not a good place to shop for chicken supplies. I saw that they have stuff for rabbits like bedding and other stuff like wood shavings, pet bedding etc. I'm assuming straw is best? If anybody can suggest a supply store in SE Michigan that would be helpful.
Pine shavings are very popular for chickens.

Avoid cedar shavings as they are too aromatic, and straw will work but is a good hiding place for mites. Also it tends to get nasty I have read. I have used alfalfa hay and the chickens love to eat the leaves, but it made me so itchy.

Now I use sand and scoop with a kitty litter scoop daily (also in the nest boxes) to get the droppings out. However, pine shavings will be a warmer bedding for a cold climate. So I would say I recommend pine shavings or sand.

I picked up pine shavings yesterday and placed it in her coop. Last night was her first night in the coop, temps were down to 18 but went out to see her this morning and she's still here! But her water keeps freezing so I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Pine shavings were a great suggestion!

I picked up pine shavings yesterday and placed it in her coop. Last night was her first night in the coop, temps were down to 18 but went out to see her this morning and she's still here! But her water keeps freezing so I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Pine shavings were a great suggestion!
Some people use heated dog dishes (the kind with the metal covered cord) and others get a heated poultry waterer base or heated waterer.

If your cold weather is very brief you can take water out a couple times a day. However, if it going to be a long winter for you with freezing temps then I'd definitely put out a heated dog dish for her or something. They need liquid water during the day.

Make sure it is on a GFCI I have read...they have extension cords with GFCIs someone said on BYC.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Welcome & congrats on your new girl!! I have one thing to add to all the great advise your getting. Treats!! Mine love their treats....especially dried meal worms, raisins, yogurt, and this time of year warm oatmeal. Also love blueberries & melons.

Back
Top Bottom