Unexpected cold snap!

ackie

previously jwehl // dogs & cats & squirrels oh my!
Nov 3, 2020
Atlanta GA
I'm in Georgia and our weather is being silly

(high/low in F)
Today (Sunday) 55/43,
Tomorrow (Monday) 47/27,
Tuesday 43/25,
Wednesday 54/27
then it appears to go back to 'normal'

All I have in the garden atm is very small lettuce (buttercrunch, romaine) and very small carrots.

Does anyone know what I should do? The lettuce and carrots are probably not worth harvesting but I'm not entirely set on giving up on them yet.

I also have fruit trees, berry bushes and grapes. Some of the bushes & grape vines are new this year so are small. We havent maintained them in the past but I've actually started doing so this spring and I'd hate to kill them now.

Could you put an old towel over the vegetables at night?
We normally do this in the spring when it is still cold at night.
I could definitely do that. I'd think it would crush the delicate lettuce though. So maybe milkcrate and a towel on that? Or is that still too much cold air around the plant?

I have a bunch of sheets that I use to protect plants from frost up here in Michigan. They're folded up and stuffed into a pillow case marked "Frost Sheets." They saved the day several times last spring and this fall. I won't need them for about 4-5 months now.

I have some chicken wire arched over my strawberries, and it holds the sheets up off the plants. Tomato cages work for that too, for taller plants. A milk crate sounds like it would work well too. Good luck!

@Sally PB I have a whole stack of towels that are no longer acceptable bath towels. They're great for lining a nest box of an unexpected broody and then throwing away afterward. Your sheet comment made me think of the lattice I have for my cucumbers that I literally already have laid over my lettuce to stop the cats from crushing them. I can lay towels on top / hanging off the sides of that.

I'm in a much colder climate than you! Carrots and lettuce are usually cold hardy down to the temps you've had. For lettuce, allow them to recover until evening before picking if there was a frost. I'm in PA and still harvesting carrots, kale, and lettuce, and Bok Choy from the garden. I have not covered the plants.

I'm in a much colder climate than you! Carrots and lettuce are usually cold hardy down to the temps you've had. For lettuce, allow them to recover until evening before picking if there was a frost. I'm in PA and still harvesting carrots, kale, and lettuce, and Bok Choy from the garden. I have not covered the plants.
Oh that's even better news!

Back
Top Bottom