Unexpected Death of Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinewind, Jun 12, 2009.

1. pinewind

pinewind Hatching

Jan 18, 2009
    Belmont
    Our 2-3 year old Buff Orpington Rooster just "dropped dead" this afternoon. He had been wandering around all day just as normal, has been eating, acting perfectly normal, no apparent unusual stools, comb and wattles nice and red...mounting the hens 20 times a day as usual....our chickens free range all day everyday wherever they want to go around the farm, get scratch grains and some layer pellets or sometimes grower pellets when they steal from the pullets. Have no idea what might have happened, we just found him keeled over on his face out on the lawn, no injuries, no ruffled feathers....any idea what might have caused this?
    Karen
    Belmont, NY

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss. I am not sure why he died but i hope someone else can help. Welcome to BYC, I am sorry it is under these circumstances.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] But I'm sorry your very first post has to be about such a sad occurance. [​IMG]

When something like this happens in my flock I have to think it was something bad that they ate, that killed them very quickly.

I don't know if you should try & open him up, don't know what you should look for. Don't know if it would be advisable to have him professionally necropsied. I hope wiser members will chime in soon.

4. Debi214

Debi214 Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    One of mine found a piece of glass and I think that is what happened. Why do they have to eat everything they find???

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds like he had a heart attack.

6. pinewind

pinewind Hatching

Jan 18, 2009
    Belmont
    My husband said he thought maybe the rooster had a heart attack also.....we didn't know if this was something that happened to chickens though, I suppose any animal could have a hidden heart problem though and die unexpecredly. We sure will miss him, he was a real easy going guy, liked to check in on what you were doing throughout the day and just watch for a while before continuing on about his business.
    Karen
    Belmont, NY

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    heart attack or heat stroke would be my first guesses

8. nickori

nickori In the Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    If you live further south I would say maybe snake bite