Unexpected deaths

festivalcat

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
Yesterday morning, went out to check on the chickens and give them some fresh water. One of my 16 week old pullets was lying dead in the corner of the coop. I took her out and scrubbed the coop clean. I watched everyone else throughout the day, they all seemed fine. This morning, I went out again and found another of my 16 week old pullets lying dead. I don't know what is causing it and would like any advice to prevent further loss. Thanks.

What did the hens look like. Were their legs or wings splayed out? Was there any mucus on their beaks or nostrils? Have they had weird poops? We just need more info to find what this could be.

What did the hens look like. Were their legs or wings splayed out? Was there any mucus on their beaks or nostrils? Have they had weird poops? We just need more info to find what this could be.

Both were lying on their sides, sort of stretched out. Their wings were closed, eyes were open. They had been eating normally, I didn't notice any weird poop but will keep my eye on the remaining chickens. No mucus either.

With the hundreds of things that can kill chickens quickly, it's not wise not to get lab work.
Is it viral, bacterial, fungal, environmental, nutritional?
idunno.gif

Time for lab work.

Many states will do free necropsies, and if they don't and you can't afford one, talk to them and maybe they waive the fee. Someone recently posted that Purdue has a grant in place for those that can't afford to pay for necropsies, and CA normally charges for anything other than chickens, turkey and waterfowl, but they have done several of my peafowl for fee just because I asked them to.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom