Unforseen Problem - HELP

When I was growing up, we raised English Bulldogs and they would eat the cat poo ALL the time, like it was some kind of gourmet snack. I guess its just a dog thing. So glad I'm not a dog! LOL

I would discourage it as dogs are able to get coccidiosis from chicken poop. Not to mention worms,etc. A friend of mine had chickens in an urban setting. She owns two Aussies. One dog constantly ate the chicken poop, and became very ill from it (coccidiosis). She ended up getting rid of the chickens. Some dogs it doesn't seem to have an effect on, but others it bothers.

Around here we refer to the nuggets in the litter box as "cat crunchies." Our SH pointer checks out the one litter pan that is on the floor every day for a snack. GAG. Needless to say, his breath reeks, but what do you do? Fortunately, the cat only uses the litter box when the weather is awful and he doesn't want to get his prissy feet wet, so there aren't a lot of "crunchies" for him. He likes chicken poo, too, but cat crunchies are his most favorite snack. dogs are gross, but I love them.

Quote:

my vets suggestion to stop our poop eating dog from this disgusting habit was to sprinkle meat tenderizer on the fresh poop as a repellent and it worked for dog poop...also works in the cat box so it should work for chicken poop as well...but then again that's a lot of meat tenderizer.

While the eating of chicken droppings was something I wished my JRTs wouldn't do, it was the rolling in goose crap that was the most irritating.

All my dogs eat poop. My hubby was very grossed out by it at first, but now, he has resigned himself to it. I look on the bright side, at least my porch is always safe to walk on, even when the girls are out.
lau.gif

Quote:
Thats the exact same reason my Vet gave me! She also said it was fine, as long as the dogs were healthy and current on vaccines.

Quote:
LOL We call em Kitty chocolate. Comes in 2 varieties, with or without mint flavored breath fresheners.

And its not just eating, I have a poodle/terrier mix that would love nothing better than to get out and go roll around in the cow pasture next door.
sickbyc.gif

Our Corgie boy would actually find the little spots in the grass where squirrels would potty when out for walks, and roll his face in it.

Dogs, gotta love em.

One night our lil shi zu followed the cat into the box and while the poop was oh so fresh she wallered in it...rubbing it into her ears and neck....we didn't figure out why the strong smell til after she snuggled up in the bed with us under the covers. it was 11pm on a work night and everyone had to have a bath/shower including the dog and all the bedding stripped, disinfected and 'remake' the bed with fresh linen. *sigh*

Last edited:
Mine eat it too- I figure it keeps my daughter from stepping in it. Maybe you could put the anti poop eating drops in your chicken feed? Check with your vet? My dogs only get sick when they steal all the Layena. I have piggy labs.

I figured out how to keep the dogs out of the cat litter box . . . . . I put the litter box on a table in the spare bed room. I also put the cat's food dish on the table, thus preventing our other "cat/dog" problem.

But, the chicken poop problem I can't figure out . . . . My dogs just simply love chicken poop, if they don't eat it, they roll in it ! Disgusting to the max !!

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom