Unhappy Neighbors -What to do about our cat.

Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Washington State
Ugh.
hide.gif
Just got home about an hour ago, before I even had Hannah out of her car seat one of our very close-by neighbors came walking up to me...her body language was hostile to say the least and she was shaking. She was TICKED off!!!
somad.gif

I asked her if she was ok and she replied that she wasn't. She went into a long rant about my cat and how he poops all over in her front yard, and just today he pooped in her open garage. And I am attracting feral cats because mine is lose and I feed him outside, ect, ect. She also asked me if I had read the Home Owners Assn. Rules, to which I said I had read some specific things but not cover to cover. The neighbor told me that cats aren't allowed to run at large, they must be confined. She invited me to come look at her front yard and all the dig marks in her beauty bark that my cat had made. So we walked over.

I wasn't angry about this at all, and in fact, I can totally understand her position and it would make me angry too. And I told her this.
hugs.gif
I offerend to come and sift through her front yard to take care of any poo, but she declined. By this time ( I am sure how nice and understanding I was being shocked her), she had visibly softened and even apologized to me. I told her I would make sure the cat is confined and thanked her for letting me know of the issue. She told me that she had complained to the "Board" about my cat...so I guess I have phone call to make so that they know I've takend care of the infraction.

I do feel bad my cat was causing such an issue and now I have corrected it. But the problem I still have is what to do with my cat. He cannot live indoors as he "lost" his litter box training when Hannah was born. My husband thinks we should give him away but I don't know if he'd get a good home. He's a seven year old Manx cat, neutered and huge, he's white with orange spots and copper eyes. He's an exceptional rodent hunter. How do I re-home an older cat? I don't want to take him to the Humane Society.

You poor thing, I don't own cats myself but my neighbors do they are always pooing in my garden and digging up my plants. Though it's annoying, I would never complain as that's just life. I was told that cats wont go in their own garden as it is their territory, or they wont go in another cat owners garden as it is marked as another cats territory. So the only way to stop this problem is to own a cat, so maybe you could buy her a cute kitty!
Sorry I know I am no help, but honestly cat's are just cats doing the cat thing, it would be such a shame for you to re-home him.

Thank you both for the quick replies
smile.png

I do agree that, to a point, the cats are just doing what cats do. But honestly, if I was doing some weeding or planting and stuck my finger in my neighbors cats poop I'd be ticked to LOL. Especially with my daughter who is three and likes to help me with gardening and things.

I think Craigslist would be the best thing to do as well. He's a great barn cat, though I will miss him a lot he's also a pain in the keister!
sad.png

Here's a pic of our kitty. His name is Beaucoo.

DSCN0031Medium.jpg

why not build him an outdoor run? That way he can still enjoy the outside without being an annoyance to the neighbors. I commend you for doing the responsible thing. As an avid gardener, nothing annoys me more than finding my neighbor's cat's poop with my bare hands.

I would personally stay away from craiglist, IMO, bunch of people in there who do bad things to animals..................try a no-kill shelter or a cats-only rescue group of which you may need to make a sizable donation to ensure a good home

I'd take him in a heartbeat if I weren't so far away. You may be able to retrain him to a litter box, just make sure it is kept very clean and easily accessible. Away from heavy foot traffic, cats like their privacy. No way I would give him up.

My cats had to become indoor cats- we had some missteps, but it's been fine for several years now.

Quote:
Not to someone who doesn't have pets. I have 2 cats and 5 dogs and I get annoyed when people let their dogs poop in my front yard and don't clean it up. If this person doesn't even have pets - then yeah, they have the right to complain.

Back
Top Bottom