Unhatched chicks holds on for days, piped early?

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
3935DE76-DF31-436B-A037-C8CF73D29625.jpeg
D9F590A4-B516-4459-A62C-3644E018CC03.jpeg
So, my first time silkie mom hatched some chicks. She hatched two, then left the nest. I assumed she was done, so waited a day and cleaned out the nest (she had layed on one of them, and another looked like it had broken late term 😖😥) (her other two are very good though) well, I heard peeping. I realized one of the eggs was pipped, and cheeping hours later without being under momma. I pulled back some of the shell, but I noticed the membrane was bleeding, so I moistened the membrane and put it with a damp cloth under momma, supposing it would either break out or die over night. Well this morning it had not hatched, but was very much alive. Momma was up and moving so I got out my incubator and stuck it in there. I’m thinking it was late developing but pipped early due to the rise in humidity from momma. So I’ve waited, but it hasn’t made any progress, though it continues to cheep and movie quite a lot. I’m not sure what the next step is. I can’t tell if there is still bleeding or not. I figure it must be either incapable of hatching due to deformity, or is still somehow miraculously developing, not sure what to do next. Looks like it maybe pipped on the narrow end I realize it could have pipped recently, and I was wrong to remove part of the shell, I should have just put it in the bat or right away I think

Last edited:
Thank you, I read the article. I wet the membrane and I see thicker veins and an unabsorbed yolk. Should NOT have pulled up the shell, it must have pipped early. I bumped up the humidity and will leave it alone, only going to wet the membrane. This was very helpful, thank you, I will take it slow from now on. Anything else I should do?

Thank you, I read the article. I wet the membrane and I see thicker veins and an unabsorbed yolk. Should NOT have pulled up the shell, it must have pipped early. I bumped up the humidity and will leave it alone, only going to wet the membrane. This was very helpful, thank you, I will take it slow from now on. Anything else I should do?
Wow, poor baby. Good job taking it in. I would just put a little bit of coconut oil on the membrane. Not on the beak though. Then watch for veins and yolk to recede. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Wow, poor baby. Good job taking it in. I would just put a little bit of coconut oil on the membrane. Not on the beak though. Then watch for veins and yolk to recede. Keep us posted, and good luck!
Ok! I covered the exposed membrane with coconut oil, being sure to steer clear of the beak. Still peeping and moving!

Not yawning, but it seems to always be “chewing” little beak movements and kind of a fluttering motion under the membrane I think it was yawning earlier today, is that good or bad?

Not yawning, but it seems to always be “chewing” little beak movements and kind of a fluttering motion under the membrane I think it was yawning earlier today, is that good or bad?
It means it's still absorbing. That chewing you're seeing is too. Wait until the chewing stops.

Oh! Interesting! Yes, I can see it Still has the yolk, after it’s absorbed, will I have to assist it in hatching? It moves around quite a bit, will it just push out when it’s ready?

It hatched last night! Everything went smoothly and I put it under momma this morning after it had dried off. made sure no egg yolk or umbilical was dangling, navel looked nice and dry. It does have some membrane dried over its eye though, should I just use water or can I put a little coconut oil to loosen it? It’s super active, hope it continues to do well! Thanks for the advice, I’ll let you know if it does okay in the next couple days. (Momma is taking care of it well, so that’s a blessing)

Back
Top Bottom