Unheated greenhouse

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I decided to scrap the 3 greenhouses I received and buy a new one. My wife and i have been discussing when to get started with it, we are in zone 5a/4b want to avoid plants being ready too soon and or freezing in the greenhouse, i am thinking starting seeds mid April, but maybe that is too soon?
any opinions?

I start mine in March but only bring them to the green house on warm days. Do you usually still have frost in May? You want to start seeds 8+ weeks before last frost.
I dont figure we are out of the woods until about Memorial Day. We went camping (at high altitude) 2 Memorial Day weekends ago, trees weren't leaved out and it w as snowing. Just rain where we live 30 minutes away but it gives you an idea

I also start seeds indoors then use my greenhouse more as a hardening off location.

Interesting thing last year though. I had heat loving peppers in there during a cool outside/warm in the greenhouse day. I thought the forecast was ok so left them in overnight. We had 6" of snow that night. While a bit droopy they all were ok.

If you don't count it safe to plant in the ground until late May I think mid April for most things and early April for things that take a long time to grow much is a good plan.

Back
Top Bottom