Unidentified pest

KellyG8

Chirping
Mar 20, 2016
Today I planned on opening my nesting boxes and when I went to prepare them I noticed some small, fuzzy, beetle looking insect. There weren't a lot and the strangest part is I can't find any in the coop (I had pieces of wood separating the sides). Im frantically inspecting the chickens, but don't see anything on their bodies or vent area. I'm going to take out everything and put in shavings. Can anyone tell me what these bugs are? Or even tell me what they definitely are not? Im also looking for recommendations on something I can treat the whole coop with. Thank you so much for your help.

Not really sure exactly what it is.......but seriously doubt it's a chicken pest, chickens might actually eat them.
No need to panic and 'treat' everything.

About the only place I use DE is in the bottom of nests under the liner and bedding.
Not sure if it actually does much, but makes me feel I've done something to make all the cracks and crevices in the nests an inhospitable habitat for any bugs, especially mites.

Thanks so much for your reply. After cleaning it yesterday, I haven't found any today. I think it may have been a type of beetle. Just happy is doesn't seem to be lice or mites! :)

Did you feed them any mealworms or crickets or anything? This looks sort of like a dermestid beetle larvae which a lot of commercial "bug raising" companies use as a cleanup crew. I have heard of people using them in roaches, crickets, and mealworms. They also are apparently really good at cleaning bones for people that study them.

I guess what I'm saying is if this is what they are-- they're probably just cleaning up a bit :)

Did you feed them any mealworms or crickets or anything? This looks sort of like a dermestid beetle larvae which a lot of commercial "bug raising" companies use as a cleanup crew. I have heard of people using them in roaches, crickets, and mealworms. They also are apparently really good at cleaning bones for people that study them.

I guess what I'm saying is if this is what they are-- they're probably just cleaning up a bit :)
That's kinda what I thought too @crobbins2009

@KellyG8 Where are you located?

I'm near Buffalo, NY. I have not fed any mealworms or bugs - other than what they are getting naturally when they free range. I looked up dermestid larvae and it does look a lot like that! Not sure how they'd get into the coop, but I'm happy to think that they aren't hurting the girls.

I'm near Buffalo, NY. I have not fed any mealworms or bugs - other than what they are getting naturally when they free range. I looked up dermestid larvae and it does look a lot like that! Not sure how they'd get into the coop, but I'm happy to think that they aren't hurting the girls.
There's lots(thousands) of different kinds of bugs, most are harmless.

Back
Top Bottom