Unique solution

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by taprock, Nov 30, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that we have some snow on the ground my husband found coyote and fox tracks within 50 foot of our coop. This is my first year with chickens and my husband is an avid predator hunter and teased me that my chickens would bring them right in for him. The tracks are in the woods behind the coop where you really can't see too far. My chickens are closed up at night but I like to let them out during the day. Now I'm worried about predators, so my husband's solution was get two road kill deer and put them out back in the middle of the field. His thoughts are any critters around are going to be more interested in the deer. Then they can be shot out the back slider from the house. Hopefully it doesn't backfire at my chicken's expense.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like your husband won't be getting much sleep at night.

Good luck,
    Imp

3. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Sorry, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. We use carcasses for bait piles for coyotes also. But no where near my chickens. Bait piles attract more critters and will run out eventually, and then you have more hungry critters than you had before. He’ll have to be very diligent to shoot everything everyday to keep up with them and keep them thinned out. I too hunt coyotes and raccoon and I was hoping that the chickens would attract them, but no luck and I live in the country. I could be wrong, so keep us posted, I'm curious to see how it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by