unknown death of hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by axelsujin, Dec 5, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

My first hen ever died today for unknown reasons and she is less than 2 years old. She couldn't be egg bound as. She Just laid a few hours ago. I'm extremely distraught as it is also my birthday today.she was also 'screaming' yesterday for no apparent reason.. and she died lying down like how she is in the picture.any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Once again Thank you friends,brothers and sisters.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm sorry to hear that. Have you noticed any greenish yellow to white diarrhea? Has the hen been drinking more and eating less? In my experience Fowl Cholera can cause a seemingly healthy bird to die the very next day. Pasteurella Multicoda is the bacteria which causes it. Many people expect prolonged symptoms such as a throat rattle or swelling of the waddles and face. That does not always happen, and the bacteria is not uncommon, especially in warmer climates. Wild birds, and rats or mice getting into feed is a common way it is spread. Most disinfectants will kill the bacteria. It can be carried in yards on shoes, so a good biosecurity also lessens the chance of it entering the yard.

Preventing wild birds from eating out of chicken troughs, well drained land with no stagnant water also helps reduce exposure. Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Gentamicin, Enrofloxacin,Sulfadimethoxine, are all common medications used against Pasteurella bacteria. It is also a bacteria that often takes advantage of a bird with a weakened immune system. Birds that are cured can still become carriers, so prevention is preferred over treatment. I hope that helps. Perhaps there are University labs of animal sciences in Singapore you could have a bird examined if it happens again.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. Thank you very much.she was eating lesser for a few days before she passed.and I did not see any form of dirreha. My flock is kept away from any other wild birds or animals.I will Wait and see if it happens to the others.once again Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by